• News Ticker alerts

Just in case you missed it, or if you've already viewed 15 pages of online content at utsandiego.com, the paper announced today that it will be charging for digital subscriptions, similar to policies at the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.

President and CEO of U-T San Diego, Mike Hodges, said the paper is looking for new ways to raise revenues.

“As we build the media company of the future, with a larger focus on digital platforms, we need to develop new revenue streams from a subscription standpoint. We believe the content we provide from our great journalists is something people are willing to pay for."

Digital subscriptions, according to today's article in Business section, range from $.99 cents to $5.49 per week, depending on the package.

And for those people who don't want to pay for the digital subscription, well, they will still have access to U-T TV or can download the app for the iPad.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

TanyaMannes June 21, 2012 @ 10:49 a.m.

Hi Dorian,

Thanks for this great piece on the U-T's effort to start monetizing content written by people like myself, and I appreciate the link to my article. If I may clarify a few points (I know - the rules are kind of complicated):

1. It's free to download the U-T News iPad app, but to access the full content a digital subscription is required.
  2. The U-T Padres iPad app is free and so is the content.

Also, the folks on our digital sales team wanted to note that the digital subscription kicks in after you view 15 pages of "article pages." You can still make unlimited visits to the home page, index pages ("U-T Business," for example), classifieds, photo galleries, video galleries and U-T TV. Those don't count toward the 15. That's a big deal for us because those sections draw a lot of traffic.

Hope that's helpful. Thanks for allowing me to comment here.

tomjohnston June 21, 2012 @ 12:22 p.m.

"That means that starting today, readers wanting to read articles online will only be allowed to read 15 pages per month for free. After that, the webpage will no longer be available."

And, just as with the LAT, NYT and every other digital publication I read, it's pretty easy to get around, which I was just able to verify. Not that I would actually WANT to read 15 or more articles per month.

Birdrock777 June 21, 2012 @ 4:54 p.m.

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Papa Doug the bigot, John Lynch the 3X failed media mogul- remade as titans of digital media. Hilarity ensues.

DavidnPB June 22, 2012 @ 2:14 a.m.

The ONLY thing the Manchester UT has in common with the NY Times is a fee for digital access.

The Times also has writers, content, and something worth reading.

The Manchester UT, run by Lynch and Popa Doc Manchester offers none of these.

It will be interesting to see how few digital subscriptions they actually sell. Traffic to the website will drop off greatly, and their digital ad revenue will decline greatly. Why pay for Manchester's propaganda, when access to the Washington Post is still free, and the NY Times is about the same cost as offered by the UT, but the Times offers so much.

I expect the UT will have to retreat from this policy in about a week, and will regroup and try again in several months. They did this with NO advance notice to readers. Not very good marketing.

MrSanDiego July 29, 2012 @ 1:48 p.m.

I understand that the UT needs to generate more money, but they are pricing themselves WAY TOO HIGH! I have always been a fan of the site, but will not be going back, not even for the 15 free pages of content.

I agree with DavidnPB that the digital ad revenue will start declining rapidly inline with their massive loss of traffic!

SurfPuppy619 July 30, 2012 @ 12:09 a.m.

The NYT and LAT are the best papers in the country.

In the words of LLoyd Benson to Dan Quayle "UT, you're no LAT."

SurfPuppy619 July 30, 2012 @ 12:13 a.m.

One last comment-the new website design is 100 times worse than the one they had 3 years ago-in fact it sucks eggs. I hate even going to the website, and have pretty much been off it 100% the last 18 months.......

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 16, 2012 @ 10:18 p.m.

"We believe the content we provide from our great journalists is something people are willing to pay for." No, no significant number of people are willing/going to PAY for the UT, sorry to burst your bubble but the UT is NO LA Times nor New York Times, in fact it is not even an Orange County Register.

760raptor July 28, 2013 @ 8:29 a.m.

Eat excrement and die UT. No way I'll EVER pay for your drivel.