Sophia Zaller 5:30 p.m., May 29
Latino Group Critical of DeMaio
A group calling itself “Latinos Against DeMaio,” consisting of over a hundred local community members including San Diego Unified School Board trustee Richard Barrera, Southwestern College trustee Humberto Peraza, and Democratic legislators Ben Hueso and Juan Vargas, has issued a release in advance of next Tuesday’s mayoral primary.
“Carl DeMaio's corporate agenda has done direct harm to San Diego's Latino community for years, and it's important for Latinos to know the truth about DeMaio before voting on June 5th. From attacks on the living wage and other basic worker protections, to the steady erosion of basic public services and attempt to grow the tourism industry without respect for its workers, DeMaio has been bad for Latinos his entire career,” claims an open letter to the community disseminated via e-mail yesterday. “Plus, he's the only councilmember to support Arizona's AB 1070 law and has said he would have local police officers take on immigration enforcement.”
The group does not explicitly endorse another candidate in the context of their anti-DeMaio commentary.
More like this:
- Did Sanders trade his DeMaio support for chamber job? — Nov. 10, 2012
- Legitimacy of new pro-DeMaio LGBT political committee questioned — Oct. 12, 2012
- DeMaio's Apartment Association Endorsement: Move Toward or Away From the Center? — Aug. 17, 2012
- Local LGBT Publication Alleges DeMaio Made Deal with the Devil — March 16, 2012
- Occupy San Diego Pushes Vendors to Return — Nov. 5, 2011