• News Ticker alerts

Data from Smith Travel Research show that San Diego's hotel business continues to do better. The occupancy rate for June of this year was 70.3%, up from 67.3% in June of 2011. The average daily room rate was $128 this June, up from $122.56 in June of last year. However, Jerry Morrison, La Jolla-based hotel consultant, compared June 2012 numbers with the month just before the Great Recession set in, June of 2007. The occupancy rate was the same last June and in June of 2007 -- 80.5%. But average daily room rate was $136.51 last month and $143.14 in June of 2007. Revenue per available room also dropped, from $115.22 in 2007 to $109.90 this June.

This month will be very strong for San Diego, Morrison predicts.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Twister July 27, 2012 @ 10:52 p.m.

But how far did they come from? Maybe that doesn't matter for San Diego, but that information would be useful to more "macro" considerations . . .

Don Bauder July 28, 2012 @ 10:56 a.m.

I assume you are asking whether the visitors come from the drive market -- L.A. and Phoenix in particular. Those data should be available. My guess is that in this economy, the drive market is picking up, as Angelenos and Zonies decide not to go to Paris and come to San Diego. The drive market is a source of strength in San Diego tourism. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh July 29, 2012 @ 8:19 p.m.

With each passing year, I see more and more 'Zonies in the area. You can spot them when they blow past you at 70-75 mph and the rest of the freeway is barely doing 65 (the speed limit.) If I lived in that baking-hot hellhole (AZ in general, more specifically greater Phoenix) I'd be soooo eager to escape during summer that I'd go nuts.

Another phenomenon is the massive amount of traffic on southbound I-5 that starts about noon on Friday, and continues through Saturday evening at least. At one time I blamed it on all the Angelenos who were headed for the border and beyond, and who had ethnic and cultural ties to Mexico. Now that we hear that the cross-border traffic is 'way off, it must mean that the visitors are coming to see the local stuff, not including TJ. That southbound freeway is a real pain when there's no special reason for heading into SD.

Don Bauder July 29, 2012 @ 10:07 p.m.

Back in the 1990s or perhaps 1980s some bloke running for sheriff or some other office in Phoenix had signs on route 8 within San Diego to woo Zonies heading back home. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 28, 2012 @ 2:09 p.m.

My guess too, but I'm just curious why more factors aren't factored into such analysis, and how useful or misleading the simpler stuff is.

Don Bauder July 28, 2012 @ 10:33 p.m.

The Convention & Visitors Bureau used to break out the drive market in computing SD travel statistics. I don't remember that it was on a monthly basis, though. I think it was annual. Best, Don Bauder