Ian Anderson 5 p.m., May 21
San Diego Chapter of American Civil Liberties Union Gives $100,000 to Anti-Death Penalty Campaign
The San Diego and Imperial Valley chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has contributed a cool $100,000 to the campaign for Proposition 34, a November ballot measure that would abolish capital punishment in California, replacing the death penalty with life in prison without parole.
The donation was made July 5, according to a campaign disclosure report filed yesterday with the California Secretary of State's office by Taxpayers for Public Safety, a campaign committee supporting the proposition.
As previously reported, at least three wealthy San Diegans have also gotten behind the anti-death penalty push, La Jolla billionaire and Qualcomm founder Irwin Jacobs, who gave $10,000 in May, and once-imprisoned lawyer Bill Lerach and his wife, lawyer Michelle Ciccarelli, who are throwing a July 28 fundraising bash at their oceanview La Jolla Farms estate featuring Hollywood power couple Mike Farrell and Shelley Fabares, along with Oscar nominee James Oliver Cromwell.
Opponents of the measure include the Peace Officers Research Association of California Political Action Committee, a labor lobbying group for cops, which contributed $75,000 on July 17 to Californians for Justice and Public Safety, a committee set up to defeat Prop 34.
As we've reported earlier, the Sacramento-based police labor PAC contributed $10,000 to help fund last-minute TV hit spots last month attacking San Diego GOP city councilman and mayoral candidate Carl DeMaio over his positions on police pension issues.
The Sacramento law enforcement labor group was joined in the anti-DeMaio effort by the Los Angeles Police Protective Association, the police labor union for L.A., which gave $5,000, with most of the balance being picked up by the San Diego Police Officers Association, the local cop labor representative.
More like this:
- Builders paying for cops' Faulconer campaign — Jan. 29, 2014
- Donors walking: Democratic billionaire Irwin Jacobs and wife Joan kick in $80,000 to defeat death penalty — Oct. 3, 2012
- State's Cop Unions, Big Labor Jointly Funded San Diego Police PAC Attack Against DeMaio — Aug. 6, 2012
- On Eve of Lerach Bash, Ex-Wife and Friends Give Big to Anti-Death Penalty Drive — July 24, 2012
- L.A. Cop Union PAC, Other Police Union PACs, Pouring Last Minute Money into Anti-DeMaio TV Spots — June 2, 2012