Garrett Harris 8 p.m., Sept. 16
Local Jeweler Stumps For $100 a Plate DeMaio Dinner Party
Local jeweler Leo Hamel is promoting a $100-a-plate dinner/fundraiser for mayoral hopeful Carl DeMaio.
“I tend not to get involved publicly in politics,” says an email drafted by Hamel and distributed by DeMaio’s campaign. “But with the direction the city is headed and the path we are on I can no longer sit back and not be involved.”
Hamel says he became acquainted with DeMaio during the latter’s drive against the proposed sales tax increase in 2010, about which Hamel says DeMaio “called it for what it truly was — a way to continue to fund outrageous pensions for city employees.”
In justifying the request for $100 donations by attendees to a party DeMaio will throw at the Butcher Shop restaurant to celebrate his official status as a mayoral candidate, Hamel says “the labor unions are going to spend MILLIONS to keep [DeMaio] from winning. They fear that if a strong fiscal reformer wins the mayoral race in America’s eighth-largest city, that victory could be seen as a signal to the other major cities in the country — almost all of which are in deep financial distress because they are currently controlled by the labor unions.”
Hamel continues to state that DeMaio is “the ONLY candidate” not to receive support or endorsement from labor unions. His letter concludes with a plea for donations from anyone unable to attend the March 1 event.
More like this:
- DeMaio out with official Log Cabin endorsement — July 15, 2013
- Survey Says 24% of Voters Switch Mayoral Allegiance After Balboa Park Water Fight — Aug. 15, 2012
- DeMaio, Filner Remain Mayoral Front Runners — March 13, 2012
- DeMaio Scores Official Republican Party Endorsement — March 10, 2012
- DeMaio, Filner Are Likely Runoff Candidates in Mayoral Race — Feb. 8, 2012