Walter Mencken 11 a.m., May 24
San Onofre Leads Nation in Substantiated Safety Claims
Not only did San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station generate far more safety complaints from workers and contractors than any other nuclear power plant in the nation over the last few years, those complaints have largely been substantiated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the OC Voice reports.
Last year, substantiated safety claims at San Onofre were six times the national average. But that’s actually a significant improvement as compared to 2010, when the plant logged legitimate complaints at 15 times the typical rate of the country’s other reactors. Despite the drop, OC Voice says the facility still led the nation in safety concerns for a third year in a row. This year is no better, with Southern California Edison’s site logging the most complaints through the first two months of 2012.
“Our No. 1 priority is, and always has been, the health and safety of the public and our employees,” says Edison president Ron Litzinger, despite 33 complaints of discrimination against employees for reporting safety concerns over the last four years. Unsurprisingly, a survey of workers by the Commission in 2009 found fear of retaliation for reporting safety violations was much higher than typical amongst San Onofre workers, with one in four reporting a perception that they would be at risk of employer retaliation for reporting problems.
More like this:
- Lack of Worker Protections, Possible Oversight Panel for San Onofre — July 11, 2012
- State May Launch San Onofre Probe — June 25, 2012
- San Onofre to Remain Offline Through Summer — June 8, 2012
- Fire Danger, Missing Documents at San Onofre — May 16, 2012
- Radioactive Leak Shuts San Onofre, Critics Had Voiced Safety Concerns — Feb. 1, 2012