Walter Mencken 6:15 p.m., Feb. 28
Tents Back Up at Occupy San Diego
The tent city is back at Occupy San Diego as of Tuesday night. Acting on the alleged support of City Council President Tony Young, who is said to have told protesters that they would not be physically removed by police, occupiers have begun re-assembling their tents in the Civic Center Plaza. A handful were readily visible on videos posted by the occupysandiego.org website late Tuesday, the officially reported number was nine.
The move was not without controversy, even amongst those occupying the plaza. While some members of the group were supportive of the move as either a means of survival or an act of defiance, others were less enthusiastic. Some, including those staffing medical and food distribution canopies, complained that the location of the new sleeping tents provided problems with access to their facilities. Others worried that fire marshals would find fault with the structure of the encampment. A strong negative sentiment was the possibility of inviting more conflict with police, who have generally been subdued since clashes last week during the forcible dismantling of the last encampment.
Reports from the group were that police had stated as of 10 p.m. that there was no intention to interfere or forcibly remove the encampment.
Photo: Civic Center Plaza on October 13
More like this:
- Occupy San Diego Riders: Cavalry Arm of Occupation — Nov. 29, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Vows to Bring Back Tents — Nov. 28, 2011
- More Police Raids, But Civic Center Remains Occupied — Nov. 16, 2011
- Protesters, Labor, Critical Mass Converge to Occupy San Diego — Oct. 29, 2011
- Initial Victory may be lost in all of the re-staging — Oct. 14, 2011