Ian Pike noon, Dec. 8
Some in the Occupy San Diego movement have declared a meeting at 4 p.m. this afternoon near the USS Midway to discuss how to reunite after groups broke off and headed for Balboa Park and to the Midway last night in the face of police action threatened against those remaining on site at the occupation’s Civic Center base. Others at this time still appear to be on site and meeting at the Civic Center.
This morning, police moved to remove remaining tents and other structures in the Civic Center concourse. Early actions were relatively calm, with only one arrest reported. Later in the day, however, reports disseminated that police were using pepper spray on protestors, and one individual I spoke with said he was beaten by police and suspected he had broken bones. As of 3:00 p.m. a volunteer was transporting the young man, who appeared to be in his early 20s, to seek medical care.
By noon, about two dozen from the Occupy movement were milling around their location up the hill from Sixth and Ash in Balboa Park, preparing to move to rejoin the Midway group. Volunteers loaded trucks with some of the food and medical supplies that had been evacuated the night before, but upon arriving at the waterfront location were blocked by Harbor Police from unloading any items. This was contradictory to information given by a plain-clothes officer driving a marked police cruiser advising the group before leaving Balboa.
Police told those gathered that they were allowed to remain but were not allowed to be in possession of any auxiliary items, including food, tents, or bedrolls. It is still unclear what will be done with the personal property already present on the site.
At this point there is no definite course of action for the group other than a plan to march through the three locations where members are currently situated to gather for a 7 p.m. concert at the World Beat Center in Balboa Park. Organizers are hoping for consensus on what will follow after today’s meetings, but police at all potential occupation sites have been insistent that while protestors may be physically present, any personal property other than what they carry on their person will not be allowed.
Photo from LATImesblogs
More like this:
- Tiny Tents Occupy Civic Center Plaza — Nov. 28, 2011
- Lawsuit Filed Against City and Police on Behalf of Occupy San Diego as Hunger Strike Continues — Nov. 16, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Remains at Civic Center, Modifies Consensus Process - At Least 26 Tijuana Occupiers Arrested — Oct. 18, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Heads to City Council — Oct. 18, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Fractures, Relocates, Searches For Common Voice — Oct. 13, 2011