• News Ticker alerts

California's top attorney, Kamala Harris, is asking that federal attorneys scale back their recent assault on medical marijuana dispensaries, reports the Washington Post.

Harris' statement comes weeks after U.S. prosecutors sent letters to landlords who rent to dispensary owners, warning them that their property could be confiscated if pot-operations are occurring on their property.

While Harris admitted that the law has problems that will need to be resolved, either in the courts or in Sacramento, she also said the recent crackdown would only hurt patients.

Harris said the “overly broad federal enforcement campaign will make it more difficult for legitimate patients to access physician-recommended medicine in California."

Image

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 21, 2011 @ 3:47 p.m.

I have never used pot or any other drug so the crack down will not hurt me in any way, but my position is the feds need to mind their own business.

indieurbanmusic Oct. 22, 2011 @ 4:20 a.m.

Obama is spineless. This is the "healthcare" president? If he's not that, what else has he done?

Obama, Stop flip-flopping! This shirt is the truth!

Obama Marijuana shirt

Gail Powell Oct. 22, 2011 @ 7:55 a.m.

I knew I liked that Kamala Harris for a reason. She has some sense about this situation-probably because she's from free-wheeling San Francisco but she also seems to realize the unfairness of it all. I think it is a good idea for the Feds to take a breather here from their anti-medical marijuana crusade and let the states and counties figure this one out for themselves.

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 22, 2011 @ 8:08 a.m.

I never liked her as DA of SF for many reasons, but she has taken on the Big Banks over the mortgage fruad and now is taking on the feds over an issue they have nop business dealing in, so I am warming up to her real fast..

malcolmkyle Oct. 22, 2011 @ 8:27 a.m.

Due to the tyrannic and mindless actions of prohibitionists, tens of millions of people world-wide (both users and non-users) have been either killed, maimed, incarcerated or had their lives very seriously disrupted. Prohibitionists are solely responsible for an immense increase in violent organized crime, an AIDS Pandemic, the undermining of international development and security and a grave abuse of human rights on a scale barely witnessed in human social history.

Corporate greed and individual bigotry have accelerated us towards a situation where all the usual peaceful and democratic methods needed to reverse the acute damage done by prohibition no longer function as envisaged by the Founding Fathers of our once great and free nation. Such a political impasse coupled with great economic tribulation is precisely that which throughout history has invariably ignited violent revolution.

In order to avert what will surely be a far more violent situation than we are all presently experiencing, there appears to be just one last avenue left to us - Jury Nullification.

Jury Nullification is a constitutional doctrine that allows juries to acquit defendants who are technically guilty, but who don’t deserve punishment. All non-violent drug offenders who are not selling to children, be they users, dealers or importers, fall into this category. If you believe that prohibition is a dangerous and counter-productive policy, then you don’t have to help to apply it. Under the Constitution, when it comes to acquittals, you, the juror, have the last word!

The idea that jurors should judge the law, as well as the facts, is a proud and vital component of American history.

No amount of money, police powers, weaponry, wishful thinking or pseudo-science will make our streets safer; only an end to prohibition can do that. How much longer are you willing to foolishly risk your own survival by continuing to ignore the obvious, historically confirmed solution? - When called for Jury Service concerning any non-violent prohibition-related offense, it is your moral and civic duty to VOTE TO ACQUIT!

“To function as the founders intended, our republic requires that “the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” ~ THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

To avoid such carnage and turmoil on a scale not seen in this land since the 1860s, we may have just one last chance.

If you wish to see this insane prohibition replaced by drug policy based on science, public health and sound principles of human rights that will ensure a safe future for your children and grandchildren, PLEASE VOTE TO ACQUIT!

Twister Oct. 22, 2011 @ 8:44 p.m.

I don't like to smoke anything, but I don't like what the prescription pain killers do to my mind and body. I tried pot several years ago and found it to be an excellent pain killer.

My Dr. suggested OFF THE RECORD that I get a pot card so I could give up the hard pain killers, but he couldn't recommend or prescribe ON THE RECORD.

I went to one of the pot Dr's and got a card two years ago. I went to several "dispensaries," but they all reeked of opportunistic leeches, and I refused to buy any pot that was not grown locally by real, true cooperatives.

My card has "expired," and I have done without pot, enduring pain that it could control without the adverse effects of prescription pain killers which don't work anyway, because I refuse to patronize gangsters, directly or indirectly. I would like to grow my own, but that would be a magnet to draw thieves, who, if you get them arrested or kill an intruder their homeboys will "take care of you."

I want government-controlled pot at a fair enough price to put the gangsters out of business without putting me and my neighborhood, friends and family at risk.

What's so difficult about that?

PS: There are others who suffer more than I do (but I suffer plenty), who are in real need of C. indicus' pain-killing abilities. I have nothing against C. sativus or its recreational use, but first things first--PLEASE!

Visduh Oct. 24, 2011 @ 10:33 a.m.

Twister, you point out one issue here, and that is the use of the compassionate intent of the California law has been hijacked. The opponents of the ballot measure claimed that it was backdoor legalization. Look at what happened. It was backdoor legalization, and not what the voters were sold. What you want is not difficult, but so far it is not accepted at all at the federal level, and the state law doesn't really provide it either.

Sadly, I don't see much in the way of reasoned appeal to the better nature of the voters and legislators. (Just look at some of the posts above.) Much of the campaigning is a total turn-off.

Radical Uterus Oct. 23, 2011 @ 7:58 p.m.

Smoking is old school.Vaporization and edibles are the only way to medicate, in my opinion. Not all dispensaries are run by gangsters. Shop around, get to know your collective members and maybe they will invite you to see the garden. I'm waiting on some trainwreck to come of age, it sure looks good so far.