Matthew Suárez 11 a.m., Nov. 28
Breaking! California Secedes from United States Over Medical Marijuana
Legislature votes to restore independence California Republic following State Attorney General's statement that "the Federal Government has in this matter clearly and repeatedly overreached its authority to regulate the life of this, our sovereign state. We have no recourse but to do what is right and depart the Union. May God have mercy on our souls, and on the souls of those who attempt to stop us in this just and holy declaration of our independence."
Yet Another War Over Yet Another "Peculiar Institution?"
It began with a plea for reason and restraint: California Attorney General Kamala Harris' statement that an “overly broad federal enforcement campaign will make it more difficult for legitimate patients to access physician-recommended medicine in California."
But when the hated, grasping Federalists in Washington ignored that plea and continued their ruthless crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries, it became clear that more drastic measures were called for. Today, those measures have been taken.
Perhaps no words can better capture the sense of awesome stillness and dread that now hang over Sacramento than those scrawled on a cardboard placard by a lone protestor on the Capitol steps: "Your move, Obama."
More on this story as it develops.
More like this:
- Filner ends pot dispensary crackdown; U.S. Attorney Duffy yet to respond — Jan. 10, 2013
- California Attorney General Responds to Feds Assault on Medical Marijuana — Oct. 21, 2011
- San Diego Reader Announces New "Smokable Ads" — Oct. 18, 2011
- U.S. Attorney To Target Media Outlets For Printing Medicinal Marijuana Ads — Oct. 12, 2011
- Mayoral Candidate Invites President Obama to "Bud Summit" in Vancouver — Oct. 7, 2011