Ken Harrison 6:45 p.m., Aug. 23
Police Remove Occupy San Diego Tents, 2 Arrests, Half-dozen Pepper Sprayed
Just about every local news outlet in town was at the Civic Center this morning around 7:30 when police made one arrest before breaking through a human chain of dozens of protesters to remove several tents in violation of yesterday's order to vacate all personal property from the concourse before midnight.
Disagreements over how to handle police confrontation resulted in two groups relocating to Balboa Park and one to a park by the Midway yesterday afternoon.
Over a hundred remained at the Civic Center, mostly vacant but for six or seven tents, with many protesters willing to face arrest in order to maintain occupation of the concourse.
Many sang and danced (one, a Russian traveler, strummed a ukulele throughout) within the ring of tents as the police broke through the human chain to dismantle tents.
Later, two more tents were erected and a half-dozen protesters were pepper sprayed and one more arrested.Note: I did not take this video.
More like this:
- Allegations of Police Brutality at Occupy San Diego — Jan. 2, 2012
- Occupy San Diego Protester Joins Hunger Strike in Response to Alleged Police Brutality — Dec. 6, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Re-Occupies the Civic Center — Oct. 26, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Remains at Civic Center, Modifies Consensus Process - At Least 26 Tijuana Occupiers Arrested — Oct. 18, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Fractures, Relocates, Searches For Common Voice — Oct. 13, 2011