Don Bauder 12:30 p.m., Feb. 8
Stalking the Residential Real Estate Portfolio of Union-Tribune's Tom Gores
Those who live in Beverly Hills and other parts of L.A. where the rich and famous reside are used to movie star tours and the maps sold on Hollywood Boulevard.
Now comes a virtual tour, including plenty of photos, opinions, and valuation data about the residential property of buyout and vulture capital mogul Tom Gores, courtesy of an L.A. blog that calls itself the Real Estalker.
The site appears to have done some pretty intensive research on its subject, who runs Platinum Equity in Beverly Hills, which in turn controls the Union-Tribune here after purchasing it from David Copley’s Copley Press, Inc. more than two years ago.
“Brace yourselves with a strong nerve pill and a stiff gin & tonic, butterbeans,” says the Real Estalker, “because based upon Your Mama's entirely unscientific, probably incomplete, and decidedly conservative estimate, Mister Gores owns well over $150,000,000 in ritzy residential real estate in the Los Angeles area.”
After running down an impressive list of properties, prices, and deals, the Real Estalker concludes:
“Now then, it's late and we're hungry so we can't be bothered to come up with a smart and pithy close to this tale other than to suggest (and perhaps even predict) that you have not heard the last of Mister Gores' real estate machinations and not by far.
“He is, after all, relatively young, filthy rich, and has exhibited over the last number of years a growing susceptibility to a screaming and relentless case of The Real Estate Fickle.”
More like this:
- David Copley, 60, dead in La Jolla car crash — Nov. 20, 2012
- Vulture capitalist who flipped San Diego U-T to Doug Manchester is unloading another bauble — Oct. 11, 2012
- City Notice Posted on Front Lawn Reveals Union-Tribune Seeking Condo, Office, and Retail Development Permits — May 4, 2012
- Manchester A Step Closer to Union-Tribune Takeover — Dec. 1, 2011
- U-T Was "a Bit Fat," but Low-Priced, Says Gores — Aug. 10, 2010