• News Ticker alerts

Occupy San Diego activist and former Congressional candidate Ray Lutz was arrested this afternoon on trespassing charges after he placed a table in Civic Center Plaza and attempted to conduct an impromptu voter registration drive.

Video shows at least five police officers participating in the arrest, as Lutz calmly states “I want to do voter registration and they’re not allowing me to,” as officers place him in handcuffs and lead him away from his table.

The arrest has immediately drawn complaints of selective law enforcement from various occupiers. We reported that as late as two weeks ago, groups representing the Democratic and Republican parties had placed tables and tents in the plaza without obtaining permits or requesting permission from police or the city. Both groups operated outside a naturalization ceremony for a period of hours without interference.

The arrest of Occupy activist Ray Lutz:

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Andy Boyd Nov. 29, 2011 @ 3:43 p.m.

That's just outrageously stupid. What on earth does this accomplish?

Chad Deal Nov. 29, 2011 @ 5:42 p.m.

The California Supreme Court case Robins v. Pruneyard Shopping Center holds that the California Constitution protects speech and petitioning in shopping centers, even when those centers are privately owned.

The Civic Center plaza is a public space.

SDPD's actions are ludicrous at best.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 29, 2011 @ 8:19 p.m.

It is a public place, I wonder if voter registration is considered some type of commercial activity?????

I agree that the SDPD are your typical dork gov employees with no clue. What did that accomplish? Besdies wasting pub;lic resources on something so inconsequential that it is ridiculous.

Dennis Nov. 30, 2011 @ 12:51 p.m.

Where is the ACLU??? Clearly the right to freely assembly is being violated. How does one trespass on public property?

dwbat Nov. 30, 2011 @ 2:04 p.m.

Apparently you trespass wherever and whenever the police SAY you are trespassing! Let's hope cooler heads (like judges) will prevail, and put a stop to these Gestapo-like tactics, or else we are destined to become a police state. Where is Edward R. Murrow when we need him?

Soulassassin Dec. 1, 2011 @ 3:21 p.m.

Hey I am an daily occupier, I was not there today for this incident but I did notice that he is on the brick area of the civic center which is PRIVATE PROPERTY...Im not sure about all the rules and regulations...but bottom line is that is Private, if he was not on the brick area it would be considered PUBLIC PROPERTY.... just to clarify... and once again I am a Occupier of this movement...I still think it's mad shady that SDPD waste time & my money to arrest people for ridiculous things...when others ie Best Buy tenters thru out SD , don't get arrested...I have talked to Occupy SD about how SDPD spends my tax money on their salaries to watch me , it makes no sense to me... but hey the winners always ge to write history right ?.... they obviously think they are the winners...