Various Authors 1:40 p.m., Aug. 29
Occupy San Diego Activist Arrested Over Voter Registration Table
Occupy San Diego activist and former Congressional candidate Ray Lutz was arrested this afternoon on trespassing charges after he placed a table in Civic Center Plaza and attempted to conduct an impromptu voter registration drive.
Video shows at least five police officers participating in the arrest, as Lutz calmly states “I want to do voter registration and they’re not allowing me to,” as officers place him in handcuffs and lead him away from his table.
The arrest has immediately drawn complaints of selective law enforcement from various occupiers. We reported that as late as two weeks ago, groups representing the Democratic and Republican parties had placed tables and tents in the plaza without obtaining permits or requesting permission from police or the city. Both groups operated outside a naturalization ceremony for a period of hours without interference.
The arrest of Occupy activist Ray Lutz:
More like this:
- Lawyer notches third December takedown of city attorney — Dec. 11, 2013
- Little interest in Occupy's second anniversary — Sept. 18, 2013
- Lawsuit filed over voter registration arrest — Sept. 17, 2012
- Occupy San Diego Protester Joins Hunger Strike in Response to Alleged Police Brutality — Dec. 6, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Protesters Being Arrested at Civic Center Teach-in — Nov. 20, 2011