Richard Riehl 2 a.m., March 4
Volunteer Police Association Endorses District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis
On Thursday, the California Reserve Peace Officers Association announced its endorsement of District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis for Mayor of San Diego.
The group, made up of 6,000 volunteer officers across the state, praised Dumanis' work for law enforcement officers.
"Her leadership skills at the District Attorney’s Office, her proven fairness with labor organizations and her unwavering support for crime victims and law enforcement, reinforces our decision,” read a statement from the group.
“I am honored to have [California Reserve Peace Officers Association's] support," stated Dumanis.
"Now more than ever, Reserve Peace Officers play a crucial role in our communities and our state. As departments across California deal with cutbacks and layoffs, CRPOA makes sure our reserve officers have the best education and training.”
In the announcement, Dumanis noted the half-dozen other law enforcement agencies to have backed her run for mayor.
However, in October San Diego's own police union, which represents over 1,800 officers citywide announced it was endorsing Nathan Fletcher. Dumanis responded to the endorsement by saying she wanted to stay impartial and did not seek support from the union.
More like this:
- Aaron Feldman endorses Dumanis — Jan. 25, 2014
- Another candidate enters the race for District Attorney — Sept. 26, 2013
- L.A. Cop Union PAC, Other Police Union PACs, Pouring Last Minute Money into Anti-DeMaio TV Spots — June 2, 2012
- Senior Volunteer Police Association Endorses District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis — Nov. 3, 2011
- Mel Shapiro's Lawsuit Against the District Attorney's Office — June 7, 2011