Johnny Caito 7:07 p.m., July 28
Big-Time Lawyer-Lobbyist Headlines Dumanis Campaign Fundraiser
A raft of high-powered San Diego lawyers are hosting a campaign fundraiser tomorrow evening for District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis, who is running for mayor. An invitation for the cocktail bash, to be held at the law offices of Casey Gerry on Laurel Street between 5:30 and 7:30, is soliciting contributions of from $150 to the $500 individual limit, $1000 for married couples.
Among big-name hosts of the event is Lynne Heidel, whose law firm, Schwartz Heidel Sullivan, LLP, is one of the city's most ubiquitous lobbying outfits, described on its website as, "A specialty law firm focused on the areas of zoning and planning, land use and environmental regulation, real property, municipal, local government, education and employment law, including the conduct of litigation and administrative hearings in these areas."
Robin Munro Madaffer, wife of ex-city councilman Jim Madaffer, is also a partner in the firm.
According to its most recent disclosure report, filed April 29, Schwartz Heidel clients include the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego (which paid $3000 regarding "St. Paul's Cathedral parking lot condemnation"); Kilroy Realty; downtown and Mission Valley developer Oliver McMillan ($7000); Protea Holdings ($11,000); Scripps Health ($30,000); Hillel of San Diego; and Westfield, LLC (owner of Horton Plaza and other local malls).
Others backing Dumanis at the event include Vince Bartolotta, David Casey, and Fred Schenk, brother of ex-Democratic congresswoman and Jerry Brown staffer Lynn Schenk, who has also endorsed the D.A.
Here is the invitation:
The Schwartz Heidel Sullivan lobbyist filing:
Heidel's web page:
Dumanis Kick-off Invitation
More like this:
- ICE special agent, sitting judge, U.S. magistrate, newscaster, prostitution client put cash into D.A. race — Aug. 5, 2013
- Double whopper lobbyists want it their way with city hall — July 25, 2013
- Chargers' Fabiani, wife, and Jack McGrory spread wealth to L.A. pols — March 7, 2013
- Filner transition team to be headed by lobbyist for big developer with storied history of campaign finance violations — Nov. 8, 2012
- Price of Influence — May 23, 2012