Various Authors 8:01 p.m., July 24
Bypassing the Bridge
Mayor Jerry Sanders and Qualcomm cofounder Irwin Jacobs appeared at a Rules Committee meeting on Wednesday in support of a proposal to remove traffic from the Plaza de Panama in Balboa Park.
Both Sanders and Jacobs touted the project and encouraged committee members to allow the mayor's office to execute a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Plaza de Panama committee, the nonprofit group responsible for funding the project.
"The next generation of San Diegans will scratch their heads wondering how anyone could have opposed this simple and elegant plan," Sanders told committee members.
Sanders is correct; many people do oppose the plan, especially the alternative to build a bypass road off the Cabrillo Bridge. Critics say the road will destroy a natural resource and endanger pedestrians and cyclists.
After hours of public testimony, some councilmembers also expressed concern for the bypass road.
They committee moved the item to the full council but with direction to city staff to look at closing Cabrillo Bridge to traffic temporarily while the process continues.
More like this:
- City Council to authorize funding for Balboa Park Parking Garage — Oct. 1, 2012
- National Park Service Opposes Plaza de Panama Project — May 9, 2012
- City Council Votes to Move Forward with Plaza de Panama — July 19, 2011
- SOHO Organizes Protest Against Plaza de Panama Plan — July 18, 2011
- Plaza de Panama Planners Dispute Criticisms — July 13, 2011