Ian Anderson 9 a.m., May 26
City Council Votes to Move Forward with Plaza de Panama
At left: Irwin Jacobs
City council voted 7-to-1 to enter into a MOU (memorandum of understanding) with the Plaza de Panama committee that will begin to explore options of removing vehicles from the plaza.
The vote came after hours of public comment and after both Irwin Jacobs, who will pay for much of the project, and Mayor Sanders confirmed that entering into the MOU does not give a green light on building a bypass road from Cabrillo Bridge.
"I certainly do hope that at the next council meeting, either [the bypass bridge] or one comes up that is superior and meets the needs is approved," said Jacobs.
"Is it your expectation that we will approve the bypass [bridge] project?" asked councilmember David Alvarez.
"No, but as I said, I hope so."
Mayor Sanders agreed. "The council has three options. They can approve this one, they can approve a second alternative, or they [don't have to approve one]."
More like this:
- City Council to authorize funding for Balboa Park Parking Garage — Oct. 1, 2012
- SOHO Sues City Over Plaza de Panama Plan — Aug. 3, 2011
- SOHO Organizes Protest Against Plaza de Panama Plan — July 18, 2011
- Sanders Pushes Car-Free Zone in Balboa Park — July 5, 2011
- Bypassing the Bridge — June 8, 2011