Carrie O'Connell 1:05 p.m., June 28
"Dallas' Most Evil Genius" Funds La Jolla Super PAC
Americans for Rick Perry, the La Jolla-based independent super PAC backing the GOP Texas governor's possible presidential bid, collected a total of $193,000 during the first six months of the year, according to a report filed with the Federal Election Commission.
$100,000 came from Harold Simmons (left), the Dallas billionaire who pioneered leveraged buyouts and now controls multi-national Valhi Inc., which owns titanium mines and waste management operations.
In a profile last year, D Magazine called Simmons "Dallas' Most Evil Genius", citing his toxic waste business.
Other contributors to the Perry PAC included $25,000 from Withers Energy Group of Cypress, Texas, and $10,000 from Wareing & Company Ltd of Houston.
Since the report, the super PAC has raised another $200,000, La Jolla strategist Bob Schuman told Politico. “I would be surprised if the other major candidates don’t somehow get super PACs or 527s formed."
The super PAC paid Schuman's firm $11,000 in June, with $6,000 going to San Diego's Henson Design for website design.
More like this:
- Disappointed Rick Perry donors — Sept. 30, 2015
- Rick Perry's La Jolla super PAC down to its last $946 — Feb. 7, 2013
- La Jolla Flash — Sept. 12, 2012
- Rick Perry's La Jolla Super PAC Reinvents Itself — Feb. 13, 2012
- Sempra and Spanos Family Gave Big Bucks to Rick Perry — Aug. 11, 2011