Yesterday, after much teasing about my old phone, I finally upgraded my old Samsung for a Blackberry. Part of the reason for this was my husband coming home with a new one paid for by his company. Prior to this new acquisition, he had the same phone as I did. Apparently his boss saw him take a call, and started laughing at it. He told my husband that the company paid for their phones and really, dude, you cannot be seen with that Samsung flip phone. So he comes home with the Blackberry Storm, and he is showing me all the cool apps and the nav system and the camera and oh, my God, I have to have one!! But a part of me is thinking do I really need to upgrade? Doesn’t my old phone meet my needs, which are basically to make or take phone calls? Then, the final straw. The photo sent to my e-mail from a live baseball game he was attending. That was it. It went on the to-do list.

When we got to Verizon, we met the coolest sales girl, Kim. We told her I was looking for a new phone, and that mine was a relic from the past. She asked to see it. I made her promise not to laugh. She laughed, and told me it was actually the second one like mine she had traded up that day. We signed all the papers and settled on a plan, but I actually felt a kind of nostalgia for my old phone! Like I was going to miss it. It really could not do anything, texting was a labor intensive effort that had my friends and co-workers alike laughing at me, no camera, no e-mail access, no g-mail. But I felt a little sad leaving my old buddy, so when I got home yesterday I wrote a poem, an ode to my old, dearly departed cell phone.

Ode to a Phone

Oh, revered Samsung You treated me well No reason to doubt you By jove, you were swell!!

For years and years, You stood by my side For calls, both in turn Heartwarming and snide

Then came one day Much to my chagrin A much maligned foe Sh*t!! Texting was in!!

Your flip phone physique Once full of sleek grace Drew embarrassed stares We’d become a disgrace

For years I resisted I loved you, my friend Friend’s chides and sneering Could not our bond end

But, alas, came the day Loved one brought something home Its name like a food Though not a gastrome

It’s a Blackberry, dear He calmly explained As I gasped and I cried At loyalty slain

For he had possessed For years such as mine A similar device That seemed just quite fine

His worked paid He would calmly explain For a phone that allowed No flip-phone disdain

I thought, no big deal To this I adhere Then he sent me a photo Tech’s most lethal spear

I looked at Samsung So useless and unable To allow me to text With a nine key table

No photos, no internet No instant messaging No g-mail, no texting No instant pleasuring

I’ve always adhered To eco-friendly deeds So why trade a phone That met current needs

Because I jealously watched While pictures were sent And e-mail and internet Access was met

The day finally came When I knew it was time To trade up poor Samsung For a newer design

I drive to Verizon Guilt feelings abound To leave you, old friend For a new lover found

I traded you in For a sleek phone so fine Abandoned you friend But for you now I pine

Because here I sit Blackberry, don’t ring I can’t figure out How to use the damn thing!

Old Samsung

RIP

Samsung 2003-2010

More like this:

Comments

CuddleFish May 10, 2010 @ 1:17 p.m.

Bless your heart, MsG, awwwwwwwwwwwww look at that picture.

sniff sniff

MsGrant May 10, 2010 @ 1:43 p.m.

It was sad but had to be done. Sniff, sniff.

CF, do you know how to make your poems into stanzas? This turned out weird. In the entry screen the poem is divided into four line stanzas. But when I post it, it turns into paragraphs.

Joe Poutous May 10, 2010 @ 1:54 p.m.

I love my Samsung Gleam. 2 mega-pixel camera, 1 gb sd card. After messing with it, I can copy files to and from my computer.

... but the new Droid Incredible is calling me.

• Joe

MsGrant May 10, 2010 @ 2:09 p.m.

The droid was one of my options. Verizon gave me a $100.00 rebate on the phone of my choice. But the Blackberry seemed the easiest. There is an on-line Blackberry class I am going to check out. I can't believe I have to attend a class to use my phone. But I love, love, love having a camera phone!!

CuddleFish May 10, 2010 @ 4:15 p.m.

Hey, MsG, sorry, I don't know how, Pike was the big html expert.

You might could find the information at: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_primary.asp

That's the place I use when I need to use basic tags.

Hope it helps.

magicsfive May 10, 2010 @ 5:25 p.m.

Hi MsG...i had that same problem. refried showed me how to correct it. but it looks ok! i liked my samsung glyde...but as an upgrade i got a lg chocolate touch. i love it!!!

magicsfive May 10, 2010 @ 5:26 p.m.

aww lol love the ode to a phone btw xxoo

MsGrant May 10, 2010 @ 5:32 p.m.

Well, CF, you are a genius!! I found the correct code to format. Thanks so much for that link!!

Magics, I am already lusting for the touch screen!! Those little buttons are driving me nuts. Glad you liked my ode. It reads better now with CF's advise.

CuddleFish May 10, 2010 @ 10:08 p.m.

You're welcome, MsG, but you may have forgotten to close one of the tags, the thread attached to your post is looking all funny. I would guess the last line is lacking the close tag. :)

David Dodd May 11, 2010 @ 1:21 a.m.

Ms. Grant, don't know how you've tagged this entry, but at the very end, if you edit and type odds are good that the comments will appear in the default mode.

David Dodd May 11, 2010 @ 1:22 a.m.

*Type the less-than symbol, backslash, "font", then the greater-that symbol.

MsGrant May 11, 2010 @ 9:37 a.m.

I could not get it to work, so I just reverted back to the previous one. Oh, well. Font is restored!!

nan shartel May 11, 2010 @ 3:04 p.m.

this is so fun Grantie...hard to phone home with that one eh??...hahahahahaha

MsGrant May 11, 2010 @ 3:31 p.m.

Hard to do anything with!! But I really was attached to it. It's funny how we become attached to useful things we have had for years. I want to get rid of our land line. Do you know what is stopping me? I've had the same phone number for almost 15 years. It was the longest "mine only" phone number I have ever had. We kept my phone number when my husband and I moved in together. I am emotionally attached to it. I still have the first desk name plate from my first "real" job. Although I have been given company name plates in the past, I always took them down and put up mine. That way I could take it with me.