So, I have this friend that needs an apartment. Just for six months, a year, maybe. A temporary situation. She wants to stay in the Ocean Beach area, so another friend of ours recommends the units across the street from her house.

This friend is sassy and competent. Good credit, decent car, cute. She makes an appointment to see one of the units, a studio apartment. She arrives with credit report in hand. The unit manager is about 60, portly, wearing sweat pants and a tee-shirt with a hole under the arm. He holds out his hand to shake hers and tells her “nice smile”, which is true; her smile can light up a room.

As he shows her the unit, he goes on and on about how he travels all the time. She’s thinking “this guy travels from the fridge to the couch”, but she plays along. He’s got a shtick, and she’s not buying a word of it, but she wants the unit. He goes on and on about himself.

He tells her “everything looks great. This is a good situation”, he just needs her bank statement. She offers to write a check to hold the unit, but he says it’s not a problem, just come back with the bank statement and she can give him the check then. She says “I’ll be right back. I just live a few minutes away”, and she stops to chat with our friend across the street for about ten minutes, then goes home to retrieve her bank statement.

When she comes back, she starts to write the check, and he reminds her it is for $710.00, and she asks him “how about $700.00?” He says no, the amount is $710.00, to which she lets him know that it is not a problem, “what’s ten dollars? It was worth a shot”. He looks at her and then states “I’m not going to rent it to you anymore.” She says “Seriously? I was only gone 20 minutes.”

He proceeds to let her know that while she was gone “all that time”, another couple came and looked at the unit, and they gave him a check, which she did not. Astonished, she reminded him that he said she could bring the check back with the bank statement. “Well, that, and you haggled over the price”, was his response. She tells him “I’m a Realtor, that’s what we do! And I could have given you a check just like the couple did!”

His response? “But they did, and that was the magic moment. You missed your magic moment.”

At that moment, a young man was walking up with his hand outstretched to shake that of the apartment manager. As she turned to leave she heard the portly man say “nice smile.”

Comments

Founder July 31, 2010 @ 7:24 p.m.

As the economy continues to tank these types of creeps will start strutting their stuff, "because they can", with sudden power, long craved for.

They will create misery, instead of spreading joy and all of US need to be vigilant for others, just like them.

The "Peace & Love" generation is remembered only in history.

Now, we are seeing the "Me, Me, Me" generation, in all it's gory!

Greed & Money rule the day and that is the plight of the Middle Class.

David Dodd July 31, 2010 @ 11:47 p.m.

Manager was strange. Although I wonder why your friend tried for the Tijuana discount... ten bucks? That seems sort of odd too. Like challenging the Soup Nazi ;)

Robert Johnston Aug. 1, 2010 @ 7:44 a.m.

Right now, it's a "landlord's market" when it comes to renting an apartment. However, that crud-cum-landlord seemed a bit too creepy for my tastes.

I hope your friend gets a better apartment, with a proper landlord. "Magic moment'--what a reeking load of Bravo Sierra he tried to sell her!

--LPR

Founder Aug. 1, 2010 @ 7:49 a.m.

With you're comment refriedgringo I agree There is more to See

-- Fools Rules --

We all know those old "rules", like don't hang out with fools!

We've all heard it said, that you are what you eat, and a great location can never be beat,

but when it comes to everyone around you, don't let them bring you down and remember, unless you're in a circus, don't live with a clown.

In this situation, I believe that the "extra" $10 was designed to solicit just that discussion, and I would not be surprised if many others were disappointed by the same "game" being played on them, at their expense!

If that "trick" did not work, then others would soon follow, like, "plus the water", "plus the electricity", "we can share the internet" and "maybe even dinner, with a wink"..

I would suggest always asking, "How many tenants have lived here in the last 3 years" and if that number is large, one should try and find out why that is! Ask the neighbors, and don't jump into anything until you know the depth!

Maybe someone, more savvy than I, could start a website for these weirdo's; so that folks could post where these weirdo's live and what their game is; so others don't have to suffer the same fate and or pull a trick on them!

nan shartel Aug. 1, 2010 @ 10:49 a.m.

i wouldn't give someone my bank statement...to much info...and she's lucky she didn't move in

the asswipe!!

nan shartel Aug. 1, 2010 @ 10:51 a.m.

hahahahahaha...the RENT NAZI

hey i have pull in IB...if anyone cares to live there....

MsGrant Aug. 1, 2010 @ 11:09 a.m.

She came over yesterday and told me this story - it had just happened, and I swear I was tempted to go there myself and try to rent a place just get a glimpse of this kind of mind game!! I love these creepy characters. It seemed like a kind of Larry David moment. Yes, I agree the $10.00 was a ruse, to get this type of discussion going. But he was thoroughly enjoying his power trip...

Burwell Aug. 1, 2010 @ 11:33 a.m.

Ask your friend if she would have put out for the apartment manager in exchange for a $100 per month rent reduction.

MsGrant Aug. 1, 2010 @ noon

Not on your life, Burwell. See, the problem with these creepy dudes is she has TOO much going for her. Had she gone to him with hat in hand, things would have turned out much more different. We actually saw a lot of comedy in this exchange.

David Dodd Aug. 1, 2010 @ 12:03 p.m.

Of note: By Tijuana discount, I wasn't referring to what Burwell eluded to, simply that one rarely accepts the initial offering without a counter offer.

MsGrant Aug. 1, 2010 @ 12:13 p.m.

I gotcha, refried. It's negotiating, which she told him. He didn't like that. Although I got the impression that had she offered what Burwell alluded to, she would be moving in today...this guy probably hasn't gotten laid since the Kennedy administration!!

David Dodd Aug. 1, 2010 @ 12:19 p.m.

Ha! Man, that's a long time. And how in the hell I used eluded instead of alluded? Non-negotiable. I've killed too many brain cells ;)

MsGrant Aug. 1, 2010 @ 12:22 p.m.

Well, she "eluded" what was alluded to!!

MsGrant Aug. 1, 2010 @ 1:35 p.m.

Think "comic book store" guy, nan!!

Joe Poutous Aug. 1, 2010 @ 9:01 p.m.

She dodged a bullet. I'm betting that he would have been a nightmare to live with.

• Joe

MsGrant Aug. 2, 2010 @ 9:59 a.m.

Oh, no doubt, Joe. Magic moment. Please.

nan shartel Aug. 2, 2010 @ 10:36 a.m.

but the nicest guy i ever knew was a comic book freak...who had them in all organized and wrapped in plastic

course he was a Harvey Mudd grad with a Masters Degree in Applied Mathematics...he taught me to play 3 dimensional Chess and Rock climb

giggles

i'm thinking very late at nite a dog pet..his yard..no plastic bag handy...hahahahahahahahaha

MsGrant Aug. 2, 2010 @ 11:15 a.m.

All comic book guys have IQs of like 180. The unit, I will give to thee, if you can answer these riddles three...

So, do we light the pooh on fire on the doorstep?

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 2, 2010 @ 8:39 p.m.

Hey, how did us Comic Book Guys end up in this mix???

Creepy landlords seem to turn up frequently in OB. The first place I rented there on Abbott Street was a house split into three rental units, with the landlord - who looked just like the guy who played King Tut on the old Batman show (speaking of comic guys) - living in the front unit. I was looking for a place just for me, and he asked me if I dated a lot, and if a lot of girls would be coming around.

I figured he didn't want a lot of people coming and going - but he seemed disappointed when I said no! He rented the place to me anyway. When I picked up the keys that weekend, I was with a young woman, and the first thing he said to her was "Wow, I hope we see YOU around here a lot!"

I think I only spent about six months there - I don't think my young lady friend visited me there very often ---

Joe Poutous Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:02 a.m.

re #19

"What is your favorite colour?"

re #21

Jay, wanna buy my old comics? I stopped messing with comics years ago when I discovered cars (um, and girls). But when I was, I loved 'em. Fantastic 4, XMen, Spiderman and graphic novels!

Oh and here: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100408215648/Batman/images/4/4f/King_Tut_Victor_Buono.jpg

• Joe

Joe Poutous Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:06 a.m.

that's strange... no more hyperlinks?

MsGrant Aug. 3, 2010 @ 8:21 a.m.

Sorry, Jay - I was referring to the guy on The Simpsons. Worst....Landlord.....Ever. I ran into some creepy dudes too when I was apartment hunting way back when. I always felt like they had a peep-hole somewhere...

22 - "Will lots of your lady friends be coming by"?

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 11:58 a.m.

i know Jay Allen...i stood up for u guys...love me some comic freaks...er..um..graphic artists...hey did ya go to Comicon???

and i saw dem ladies sneaky in the back windows scantily clad

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 12:02 p.m.

i know Joe...we r no longer trusted with Hyperlinks...cause we have to much fun and take up to much bandwidth with them

this is a mere speculation on my part...hahahahahahahahaha

MsGrant Aug. 3, 2010 @ 12:29 p.m.

Not the guys that draw them, the ones who own the comic book store!! I'd include a link, but sadly...plus, I am a geek! Remember, I am a closet Rush fan!!

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 12:53 p.m.

yes RUSH fan...and we can't put dem fantabulous RUSH U TUBE songs on any more

and of course my ~~sniff~~SHARK SONG~~BOO HOO~~

join me in listening to Spirit of the Radio!!!

another technological non entity at our beloved site here

MAN I CAN SEE JAS SPINNIN' THE TUNES NOW!!!

The Reader need a RADIO Station

lets start one Grantie...think of it...the first online San Diego newspaper with it's own Radio Station

READER RADIO!!!

doesn't just have a ring???

YIPPEE!!!!!

MsGrant Aug. 3, 2010 @ 1:39 p.m.

Thanks for that, nan!! Hands down one of the very few bands that sounds even better live!!! And that's when a concert was a concert, not some crappy dance performance with lip-syncing and no instruments - I still go nuts when I hear their music. We watched a show on them not too long ago and I was singing every song and my husband was like "you like Rush?" And I was practically pogo-ing around the living room playing air guitar!! I've become a fuddy-duddy, listening to NPR all the time. Got to get back to my rock roots, cause I get grumpy without my music, too!! Reader Radio would be so cool.

Today, live, here in the studio we have with us Neil Peart, from the band Rush!!

Then we would take him out and get him drunk....

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 5:04 p.m.

and ONLY GAWD WOULD KNOW what we'd do to him next...and NO ONE WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE BECAUSE NO U TUBE...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :-)

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:04 p.m.

In my high school (in rural CT), the Rush fans were the cool kids, not geeks!

Nan, those ladies you saw at my place were probably sneaking OUT, not in! Since you asked, here's my photo essay from Comic-Con - http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs...

I've had no trouble with loading live hyperlinks into blog text - if the first link above comes out "live" in this comment, it's 'cause I html coded --

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:08 p.m.

hey hunnypants...how about Journey with it's new Indonesian lead singer???

Arnel Pineda...the Manila concert is completely amazing

if u haven't see it u should!!!

HARD ROCKIN'!!!!!

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:13 p.m.

it didn't come out live Jas...and will u accept minimal pay to start a Radio Station here at the READER

i can't think of anyone who looks more like The Wolf Man or who would do a better job!!!

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:27 p.m.

Rawwwr-ooooooooooooooo! Wolfman Jay - I like it! We're putting together the fixins for a local-centric Reader radio station, which is part of the music section futureplan - http://www.sandiegoreader.com/mp3/

The Reader is also talking to one of the longest-lived local music radio programs about podcasting/broadcasting past and present episodes on the Reader site ---- more soon -----

I just successfully posted a hyperlink to comment section of the newest (Auto)Bio blog, by using "href" html code --- not sure why it doesn't always work, as with my earlier attempt on THIS page ---

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:34 p.m.

Okay, here's another hyperlink test, using the same code that DID work a moment ago in the "Capt. Sticky" blog comments (sorry to momentarily hijack your excellent blog entry, MsGrant - "This is only a test, there is no need to adjust your set...")

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:40 p.m.

'Kay, that's just weird - live link worked fine in Capt Sticky comments, but not here - 'puters are so freakin' weird ---

Here, I'll post same YouTube link that went live in the Sticky comments --

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 3, 2010 @ 6:42 p.m.

Well, the video AND a live link showed up fine on the "comment preview" page, but both turned back into text here - dunno why it worked fine in the other comment. I'm stumped --

"We now return control of your set....."

MsGrant Aug. 3, 2010 @ 7:05 p.m.

Jay, me too!! We were the ones with our notebooks, writing down our classmates antics for future use!! I'm honored to see your face here, I grew up in NY and Wolfman Jack was a huge part of our radio experience, along with Cousin Brucie, and FM radio station KPLJ (I think).

For some reason we cannot include links anymore. Maybe you could help?

MsGrant Aug. 3, 2010 @ 7:08 p.m.

That would be WPLJ, and I still think...

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 8:15 p.m.

ya Grantie...right coast..W

and ur a paid or highly important READER representative...Barbarella's works 2

we's just da mice...hahahahahahahahaha

i can't tell u how glad i am the the Reader is venturing into RADIO...i love to listen to music while i type homey!!!

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 8:44 p.m.

hey Grantie..Refried won the neighborhood blogging contest 3rd prize for July

isn't that great!!!

nan shartel Aug. 3, 2010 @ 8:46 p.m.

the Raccoon War won first...i knew i should done an animal one again

BRING BACK DR PEANUT!!!!!!!

MsGrant Aug. 4, 2010 @ 9:30 a.m.

Dr. Peanut shall return....I just turned on my laptop to find that RFG had won third!!! As our friend says "awesomesauce"!!

I'll mosey over to Capt. Sticky to check out those links....

nan shartel Aug. 4, 2010 @ noon

if u find some magic solution please let me know Grantie