"Sprawling on the fringes of the city In geometric order An insulated border In between the bright lights And the far unlit unknown

Growing up it all seems so one-sided Opinions all provided The future pre-decided Detached and subdivided In the mass production zone

Nowhere is the dreamer Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions --- In the high school halls In the shopping malls Conform or be cast out Subdivisions --- In the basement bars In the backs of cars Be cool or be cast out Any escape might help to smooth The unattractive truth But the suburbs have no charms to soothe The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths we drift into the city The timeless old attraction Cruising for the action Lit up like a firefly Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires Or lose the race to rats Get caught in ticking traps And start to dream of somewhere To relax their restless flight

Somewhere out of a memory Of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

Comments

antigeekess July 3, 2010 @ 7:35 p.m.

OMG, Grantie! You're a RUSH NERD?!?!?!?

Awesome.

That was, in fact, my very first RUSH album, & the one that got me hooked. In fact, I'd say it was that very song.

Neil Peart is a genius. The lyrical Walt Whitman of our time.

Yup. I said it.

MsGrant July 4, 2010 @ 11:09 a.m.

I have been a closet Rush fan forever, AG! Neil Pearl is a bonifide wordsmith.

I wish I could take credit, Nan, but this is song called "Subdivisions" by the band Rush. I thought the lyrics were somehow appropriate, given the current environment ;)

MsGrant July 4, 2010 @ 11:11 a.m.

Sorry, Peart. I can't even give credit right these days!

antigeekess July 4, 2010 @ 11:17 p.m.

"The boy lies in the grass unmoving Staring at the sky. His mother starts to call him as a hawk goes soaring by. And the boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his eyes...

You move me, you move me With your buildings and your eyes Autumn woods and winter skies

You move me, you move me Open sea and city lights Busy streets and dizzy heights You call me, you call me...

Too many hands on my time, Too many feelings Too many things on my mind

And when I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find And when I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...."

From memory, and probably wrong. You likely know already that this is "Analog Kid," Grantie. It's always reminded me of Whitman's "Song of Myself."

In fact, let's see how I did...

SO much better than I remembered. :)

antigeekess July 4, 2010 @ 11:18 p.m.

Eeeeewwww!! Like, NONE of that worked! Double-spaced, with a FAIL on the embed!

Whaddup widdat?

CuddleFish July 5, 2010 @ 3:34 a.m.

I hadn't heard this song before, MsG.

Listened to a few other videos, and I don't think I am even familiar with this band.

Cool lyrics, though. :)

MsGrant July 5, 2010 @ 10 a.m.

It's okay, AG!! At least you remembered some of them. Now that everything is on the web, I go back and read lyrics and cring at what I've actually been singing all these years. I would have to say anything by The Smiths qualifies for my mangling.

CF, Rush was actually kind of a "nerd" band, because even though they rocked out, their lyrics were really cerebral, and they were written off by many as being a band for sci-fi geeks and several other theories. Anyway, they sold millions of albums, but their concerts were mostly attended by males.

CuddleFish July 5, 2010 @ 10:47 a.m.

You tangentially reminded me of the site, KissThisGuy.com. Named for the Jimi Hendrix song, and its famous phrase, Scuse me, while I kiss this guy, there is a whole treasure trove of lyrics people have twisted up along with explanations. One in particular, a guy thought the Robert Palmer song was about Michael Jackson: Might as well face it, your a d*ck with a glove. Another, a girl thought the Abba song went, See that girl, watch her scream, kicking the Dancing Queen.

Top 100 funniest misheard lyrics: http://www.kissthisguy.com/funny.php

MsGrant July 5, 2010 @ 1:07 p.m.

That website is hilarious!! I've gone there lots of times just to read songs that I thought I was alone in crucifying!! I've had some doozies. When we were kids we always sang "there's a bathroom on the right" to CCR's hit, and I found out through that site that just about everyone in the country did it the first few times they heard the song.

CuddleFish July 5, 2010 @ 1:36 p.m.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Listen, no one can figure out CCR lyrics!! I mumbled through all their songs!!!

nan shartel July 5, 2010 @ 2:56 p.m.

"Closer To The Heart"

And the men who hold high places Must be the ones who start To mold a new reality Closer to the heart Closer to the heart The blacksmith and the artist Reflect it in their art They forge their creativity Closer to the heart Closer to the heart

Philosophers and ploughmen Each must know his part To sow a new mentality Closer to the heart Closer to the heart You can be the captain I will draw the chart Sailing into destiny Closer to the heart

ain't it da truth

MsGrant July 5, 2010 @ 3:06 p.m.

We have created a whole new league of Rush fans!! And guess what, nan? They're Canadians......

nan shartel July 5, 2010 @ 3:54 p.m.

i'm well aware they're Canadians Grantie...found it out from Canadian friends years ago...also Neil Young Bryan Adams Paul Anka from the 60's.. The Guess Who...The Tragically Hip..April Lavigne and many many others

my favorite Canadian rocker is Tom Cochrane..who use to sing with Red Ryder

CuddleFish July 5, 2010 @ 4:03 p.m.

Nan, I'm telling you, I am so out of it where music is concerned, it always amazes me when I hear, Oh yeah that's a Canadian band or that's a Canadian singer, or that's a British band or singer, I'm like, what??? I think it was you who posted that list of great Canadian singers and bands, wasn't it?

I remember expounding on the glory of the show House on this forum where there were a lot of Brits, and finally one of them says, Oh yes, how do you like our Hugh Laurie? LOLOLOL :P When I checked him out on YouTube, there was an interview with him on David Letterman and he was speaking with that British accent, I thought my brain would explode.

The egocentric American, eh? :)

Grasca July 5, 2010 @ 5:47 p.m.

" A grapefruit moon in a tenderloin sky" is from one of my favorites but not Rush. I hope no one objects since we are talking music and lyrics here ?

antigeekess July 5, 2010 @ 7:01 p.m.

Let's all just hope we don't end up here:

"The writer stares with glassy eyes --- Defies the empty page His beard is white, his face is lined And streaked with tears of rage.

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow With passion and precision, But now his mind is dark and dulled By sickness and indecision.

And he stares out the kitchen door Where the sun will rise no more..."

-- from "Losing It" (RUSH)

Just a devastating song. Here's the whole thing, if anyone's curious: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/rush/losing-it.html

Aaaaand proof that RUSH still attracts nerds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRPN5cvo-Do

MsGrant July 5, 2010 @ 8:06 p.m.

Thanks for that AG!! See, pure poetry. That song gives me the willies in a good way. And I'm already halfway there. Grasca, we talk about all kinds of stuff here. Don't worry about anything. No one is gonna beat you up.

Naaaannn, don't you know who else is a smooth talkin' spoken word Canadian singer of the 'nth degree? Yeah, you know who I'm talkin' about......

Grasca July 6, 2010 @ 7:49 a.m.

Yes it is a Tom Watts' snippet. I like the imagery. If this is permitted under the new rules ?

Russ Lewis July 6, 2010 @ 12:05 p.m.

The "new rules" are the old ones made evident. The new prohibitions are just lifted from the terms of service page.

CuddleFish July 6, 2010 @ 12:44 p.m.

It is quite evident that the new interpretation of those rules are impossibly stringent and constrict debate and criticism. If I were a suspicious sort, I would see a hidden agenda ...

nan shartel July 6, 2010 @ 12:59 p.m.

but russl...i write humor...and humor always pokes fun at someone or something and often include ones self in the joke...all for a good laugh of course

what's a blogger like me to do???

i'm surprised by the censorship of humor...i mean it's a joke...no REAL offense meant...meant to lift the spirits and lighten the situation into a more convivial space...it often stops the mean spiritedness...which is of course a good thing

if i can't do that anymore how can i blog or comment here???????

Russ Lewis July 6, 2010 @ 1:19 p.m.

What was censored and why, Nan? I doubt very seriously it was because you used humor.

CuddleFish July 6, 2010 @ 1:22 p.m.

I was censored, russl. My thread was a parody, and it skewered several parties. The thread was pulled and I was told it was because the thread was clearly attacking another user.

????????????????????????

If I weren't turning over a new leaf, I'd say, Eat My Shorts.

Russ Lewis July 6, 2010 @ 1:29 p.m.

"I was told it was because the thread was clearly attacking another user." Well, there you go. See the note under "Post a comment" below. As I suspected, the issue was not the use of humor.

Go ahead and tell me, "Eat My Shorts." Off-list, if you feel safer.

CuddleFish July 6, 2010 @ 1:40 p.m.

Ooooh, russl, my dear fellow. Did you read my thread, On Winning the Blog Contest? Do you agree that I was clearly attacking another user?

Or do you just believe everything the Reader tells you?

nan shartel July 6, 2010 @ 1:45 p.m.

a blog i was commenting in was censored and removed Russl...but that's ok..i just put my last blog in the Reader..i'm leaving...but i know i won't be missed as my stuff was just fluff anyway..best to u russl...nan

nan shartel July 6, 2010 @ 1:50 p.m.

a last piece Grantie dear as i exit stage left http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu1UIE...

Rush is on the button with this one..tell Dr Peanut i wish him great success

Grasca July 6, 2010 @ 2:12 p.m.

If the "dearly departed" return like a milagro, then we will know there was a hidden agenda. Only time will tell.

nan shartel July 7, 2010 @ 5:28 p.m.

hey u can pull Dr Peanut out from under the couch now Grantie...i think it's over

MsGrant July 7, 2010 @ 5:54 p.m.

She's busy with therapy appointments for the other cats. They are delicate, while she is of a robust nature.