I am watching a bird from my window to the world

He is flying soaring and dipping and wishing to light

on a tree on a wire on a fence

but not really because he can fly because he can.

No, while I was writing this we just had an earthquake. He's no dummy.

Comments

SDaniels April 4, 2010 @ 5:25 p.m.

Granty, how are your cats acting? When it started shaking, I woke to find Mica rushing back and forth. Terrifying. He is still acting a little strange--keeps looking up at nothing, and patrolling the apartment...

SDaniels April 4, 2010 @ 5:26 p.m.

Oh, and what I did: Grabbed the cat carrier and put it by the door. At first aftershock he is going in it.

MsGrant April 4, 2010 @ 5:55 p.m.

This is really strange - our cats looked up from their place on the bed and then went back to sleep. I first noticed something was up by the flight of that bird. This was a weird earthquake, being that everyone had time to prose.

David Dodd April 4, 2010 @ 6:42 p.m.

It lasted a full two minutes down here, even had some breakage. I understand that Mexicali is not doing so well.

antigeekess April 4, 2010 @ 7:17 p.m.

Glad you chimed in, Gringo. I was a little concerned.

Re #3: LOL. Cats. :)

David Dodd April 4, 2010 @ 8:44 p.m.

Growing up in L.A., I've ridden out some big ones. I will say that this one probably lasted longer than any I've felt. I was sitting in my office and it started and I was like, "Yeah, okay, it's an earthquake," but after about 30 seconds I came out and grabbed Anna and stuck her in a door way, and it probably rolled for another minute and a half. Two confirmed fatalities in Mexicali, and I'm crossing my fingers that there won't be more.

nan shartel April 5, 2010 @ 11:57 a.m.

my wee doggie starting barking just before it started...and i had to hold my PC down as it wanted to bounce off the desk...i wasn't scared but my PC was...;-)

nan shartel April 5, 2010 @ 12:07 p.m.

i wondered about u Refried...knew u probably felt it longer then us...i'm in a mobile so it shook like H E double Hockey sticks...i thought immediately it was over a 7...and was surprised when CNN said it was a 6.9....i felt 8 aftershocks in the next 2+ hours...and 1 at 4AAM something this morning and a bump at about 8AM

i was 50 mis from the Sylmar quake and it felt as strong as that and gained momentum more then that quake

i agree with u Refied it was worse and i can't believe it was 134 miles away from us

picture fell off my walls and stuff off shelves...food flew out of my frezer...and as i said my PC tried to take a nose dive

SCARY!!!

i hardly ever react to these shakers...but this one i did

David Dodd April 5, 2010 @ 12:13 p.m.

Yes, nan, this one was big. Like yourself, I was in the Sylmar quake, and then the Whittier Narrows quake, and the Upland quake, and then the Landers quake...

But this one just kept on rolling. Wild. I had Anna in the doorway and she kept saying, "Is it over yet?"

"No, baby, stay put."

We, collectively, are a very lucky bunch of people. This quake was twice the size of the quake that hit Haiti, and we came out of it relatively in good shape. Lucky us!

MsGrant April 5, 2010 @ 12:24 p.m.

Thanks, nan! We have lots of birds around here and I watch them sometimes. One day I realized that birds really do fly for the pure pleasure of flying. When I saw the bird yesterday, I was sitting here and thought I would describe what it looked like and as I finished the earthquake hit. My cats practically yawned at being disturbed, but Peanut was pretty skittish after this morning's aftershock. I am glad everyone is okay!!

nan shartel April 5, 2010 @ 12:27 p.m.

birds do that just for the fun of it Grantie...don't u wish we could fly....hahahahahahaha ;-)

MsGrant April 5, 2010 @ 12:37 p.m.

I do!! You should have seen this bird. He was practically doing figure eights and he was so graceful. I've never seen a bird look like he was having such a good time just flying. Although I realized after that he did not settle on anything because he knew the earthquake was coming.

Refried, at first we were sort of nervous laughing, like, oh, heh, heh, another little San Diego trembler. After 30 seconds we realized this was the real deal. We are very lucky indeed!!

MsGrant April 5, 2010 @ 7:21 p.m.

Thanks, CF. I'm tryin'.....

Those videos were wild. This is probably the first big earthquake in San Diego where people could really document it with digital recordings.