• Scam Diego alerts

Tiger Woods announced today (Jan. 19) that he will open his 2011 season at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines next week. He has won there the last five times he has played: the Buick Invitational in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, and the U.S. Open in 2008. He hasn't played the last two seasons because of injuries.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Mindy Ross Jan. 19, 2011 @ 9:50 p.m.

I think Tiger will end up going the way of MJ and Elvis. I seriously doubt he'll make it to old age. He has that look like many celebrities have--once they make it they realize they're still not happy and then they start to go down hill.

I give props to Elin for dumping him. After reading People, I was convinced she had her heart in the right place when she married him. The best thing for someone in his position is to be able to find someone who is sincere. I'm sure it doesn't happen enough.

Sadly, I don't think Tiger will ever be happy, but I wish him well.

Don Bauder Jan. 20, 2011 @ 10:27 a.m.

Of course, an unhappy person can still polish up his/her golf game and start winning again. I do think that his poor performance last year was greatly a result of his inner turmoil. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 20, 2011 @ 3:33 p.m.

Happiness comes from the inside out, not the outside in

Oh, how true that is, and yet so many people have trouble figuring that one out...........

Don Bauder Jan. 21, 2011 @ 1:32 p.m.

I remember a piece written by H.L. Mencken (I believe it was Mencken.) He had interviewed Rudolph Valentino, the matinee idol of silent films in the 1920s. Mencken reported that this idol -- adored by the masses -- was an unhappy person. Valentino died at 31. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 22, 2011 @ 12:36 a.m.

sure he was unhappy his voice didn't translate to talkies Don

Don Bauder Jan. 21, 2011 @ 1:28 p.m.

In 20 or 30 years he will be on the seniors tour, and nobody will care if he self-destructs -- except, of course, Tiger himself. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 20, 2011 @ 7:04 p.m.

Too many people rate or judge "success" by monetary value-instead of moral and ethical value.

I don't need money to feel good about myself, never have, never will.

I am a straight shooter who won't run when facing down something that is wrong, no matter what the cost. I stick to my guns/values.

Don Bauder Jan. 21, 2011 @ 1:36 p.m.

You are correct that money doesn't necessarily buy happiness. But ponder this: our whole society is based on the pursuit of wealth. Does that tell us something about our country? Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy political influence. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 20, 2011 @ 11:09 p.m.

C'mon, Nan, he is trying to cure his sex addiction. Do you want him to jettison profanity at the same time? That's too much reform in too short a time. Best, Don Bauder

geesus ur a funny folker when u want to be Don....ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

nan shartel Jan. 21, 2011 @ 11:42 p.m.

"rolling on the floor, laughing my a** off."

u got it smartypooh! ;=D

Don Bauder Jan. 22, 2011 @ 9:37 a.m.

I'm starting to get acculturated. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 22, 2011 @ 12:33 a.m.

and ur right CC...i've never played golf but my HB was the major grounds keeper on a golf course for 14 years.....it was a pasture course and the players were all very civilized

the town was Scots and they took the game and the rules of the game very old school seriously...if people acted the way i've personally seen Tiger sometimes act at Torrey Pines they'd be permanently banned from the course :=[

Don Bauder Jan. 22, 2011 @ 9:41 a.m.

'Tis better to have never played golf than to have played golf and made an a** out of yourself. I know. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 22, 2011 @ 10:05 a.m.

I hate golf, always have, always will. My Dad was a golfer and tried to force me to be a golfer. Golf is not a sport. It is a game for old men who cannot compete in real sports-like football, baseball, hockey, boxing.

Don Bauder Jan. 23, 2011 @ 10:56 a.m.

So you believe in the palindrome, "flog golf." Best, Don Bauder

Robert Johnston Jan. 22, 2011 @ 11:48 a.m.

Nice try, Surf Puppy--but you are wrong!

When I was in High school, I played golf on both the JV and Varsity level. My grandparents introduced me to the game when I was 13, and I loved it ever since.

And Golf (if you carry your own bag and walk the course) has plenty of cardio-vascular bennies. Plus, when you do compete, it's not just you vs. your human opponents, but you against the course (and in a way, you against yourself, as you try to improve your game by lowering your score).

And it's also great stress relief, especially when I had my driver in my hand, and I can impring the face of my harshest teacher on the ball I was about to strike. When I got a'hold of a really good drive...sweet relief!

As for cussing on a golf course? When, when you consider the old chestnut of why it's called "Golf' to begin with (because "AwS&%$" was already taken)? What do you expect? Besides, every cuss word you utter carries a pennance of an eventual lost ball (which the course reclaims and uses for range balls).

I also took fencing, plus studied tae-kwon-do. I also used to bowl (until I had to have surgery to remove a spur from my right rotator cuff). I also played soccer in high school in our PE classes.

I probably won't change your mind there, Surfy, about your loathing for "the last gentleman's game," but for someone like me, it brings back a lot of memories!

--LPR

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 22, 2011 @ 1:17 p.m.

OK, I will give you that one.

I will say this, golf should NOT be a varsity sport in HS (or college). I am dead serious about that too.

I thoroughly enjoy bowling. It is extremely fun and entertaining. Again, it is a close call to refer to it as a sport IMO. But when I was going to school in MI., during the winer we went bowling every Friday night. Everyone did.

I say a lot of these comments tongue in cheek, but they are honest and from my heart. Golf aint no football!

Don Bauder Jan. 23, 2011 @ 11:53 a.m.

OK, everybody. Please give an answer to this question, and explain your answer: Is a sclaffing cleek worth still another bisque? Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 22, 2011 @ 1:38 p.m.

he's right....it actually one of the oldest sport goin'...it started in 1497 and has only grown in popularity since

and it is a gentleman game...

unwind that club from that tree please ;-D

football started in the 1800's pupster

Don Bauder Jan. 23, 2011 @ 11:54 a.m.

And a gentle woman's game. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 23, 2011 @ 11:06 a.m.

I believe that in the early days, the Scottish/English monarchs wanted to ban golf because of its negative effects on people's psyches and behavior. It seems to me that it blossomed under Mary Queen of Scots, who loved the game. But I haven't looked this up for decades. I am sure there is a good history in Wikipedia. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 23, 2011 @ 11:51 a.m.

So you refuse to flog golf. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 24, 2011 @ 7:31 a.m.

In the spring when the golf season started, I used to tell people, "Well, I'm only hitting 350 yards off the tee instead of 375. I'm even parring some 600-yard par 5s instead of birdieing all of them. When I hit out of a sand trap, I sometimes land more than a foot away from the cup. I haven't improved my game but I have improved my lie." Best, Don Bauder