Jeff Smith 7 a.m., March 30
U-T Axes 34 to 40
The Union-Tribune whacked 34 to 40 heads of editorial or editorial support employees today. That was almost double what was expected, if my reports are correct. I have taken this list from a variety of sources, including the web site of Dave Kusumoto, and those on or close to the bloody scene. I can't swear that all the spellings are correct. Also, I don't know the departure circumstances of individuals -- for example, what kind of severance they received, or whether they departed voluntarily. Some senior employees were offered choices of jobs at much lower pay or severance packages.
Here are some U-Ters who will be gone, according to my sources: I hope I have not been misinformed. Columnist Ruben Navarette; arts reporter Robert Pincus, who has a PhD; Leonel Sanchez; Nicole Varga; Leana DeKock; Basim Shamiyeh, computer expert;Marcia Manna;Steve Adamek; March Bahansky; Leslie Berestein; Mike Burge; Derrik Chin; Jeff Dillon; Anne Krueger; Tovin Lapan; Bruce Lieberman; Ozzie Roberts, former columnist; Jeff Ristine, and Martin Zimmerman.
The company announced that Tom Blair is returning as a columnist, as reported. The company said it will have a seven-person watchdog team and a restaurant critic.(Don Bauder)
More like this:
- U-T Axe Was to Fall Friday. It Didn't. Newspaper May Need Employees to Slam Together Long-Delayed Pagination System — Feb. 3, 2009
- Union-Tribune's New Buyout Program Suggests the Company May Be Bought Out Soon, and May Be in Cash Flow Squeeze — Aug. 28, 2008
- Union-Tribune Lays Off Three Who Spearheaded Electronic News, Radio Efforts — May 7, 2008
- U-T Announces Massive Buyout Plan — Dec. 3, 2007
- McGrath Says U-T Editorial Was Libelous — Oct. 10, 2007