• Scam Diego alerts

The California Franchise Tax Board on Aug. 2 suspended the rights and privileges of San Diego Gay Times, parent of the Gay and Lesbian Times, under the provisions of the tax code. Owner Mike Portantino says he sent the board $1494 today (Aug. 18) and was told the paper would be reinstated. "We simply made a mistake. I FedExed a check today for the balance [owed] the Franchise Tax Board," says Portantino. There is a bitter battle between San Diego's two major gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender publications, the Times and San Diego Gay & Lesbian News. San Diego News Network, which went out of business recently, ran two stories, researched in part by employees of the News along with former Times employees, stating that the Times was in financial trouble and also bloated circulation figures. Portantino admits that he has an arrangement with the Internal Revenue Service to pay back taxes. After the two stories came out, Portantino sued a former employee for breach of confidential agreement and invasion of privacy.That suit is going forward, says attorney Mike Aguirre. The district attorney is investigating whether the Times has illegally misstated circulation. Spokesman Paul Levikow says there is nothing to announce on that matter.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 18, 2010 @ 4:07 p.m.

That suit is going forward, says attorney Mike Aguirre

Is Mike representing Portantino in this matter?

Don Bauder Aug. 18, 2010 @ 5:07 p.m.

Response to post #1: His law firm is. Mia Severson is handling the case. Best, Don Bauder

Daniel2 Aug. 18, 2010 @ 9:56 p.m.

This is not a news story and hardly belongs at the top of todays local stories. Normally a reporter doesn't just target a business but would do a story perhaps more comprehensive on all of the many Hillcrest businesses that have had the very same thing happen to them over the years. Why is the Gay and Lesbian Times being singled out? Why not name all businesses? This is not credible reporting at all. You mention a bitter battle. It takes two sides to be at war does it not? This is purely sensational journalism at best and reeks of personality issues rather than legitimate newsreporting. Shame on you Don Bauder! I thought you were better than this.

Don Bauder Aug. 18, 2010 @ 10:10 p.m.

Response to poste #3: I think I have heard from you before, and I would almost place a bet on who you are. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 19, 2010 @ 7:40 a.m.

MURPHYJUNK Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:10 a.m.

I wonder how much the tax board spent getting this huge sum?

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:46 a.m.

Response to post #5: I didn't say that. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:47 a.m.

Response to post #6: I don't know the answer to that one. Best, Don Bauder

Harmsway Aug. 19, 2010 @ 10:59 a.m.

Hey you guys, cut it out, you've got Daniel2's panties all knotted up.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 19, 2010 @ 12:37 p.m.

No reason for "Daniel2" to flip out-it is a simple story about some unpaid taxes, and a comment from Daniel2 that it "hardly belongs at the top of today’s local stories".

I don't know if Don's blog updates count as the top of the LOCAL STORIES, but Don spoke to Mike, who said it was an oversight, the $2K was sent in, and the paper will be reinstated.

I would certainly not call this a slam or hit piece on the GLT-just something of interest since there was a previous blog about the conflict with the competing paper and subsequent lawsuit.

I think when you make a big deal out of such a little story then you draw far more attention to the little story-making it a big story, and for all the wrong reasons.

watchdog Aug. 19, 2010 @ 2:42 p.m.

Why is it singling out the Gay and Lesbian Times??

I think it’s great that Don is on the ball keeping the reading public up to date on anything new that comes from this previous story.

That is real journalism at its best!!!!!

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 3:22 p.m.

Response to post #9: Whoever he is, Daniel2 is hot under the collar. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 3:24 p.m.

Response to post #10: My latest post is hardly "at the top of today's local stories." Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 3:26 p.m.

Response to post #11: I don't know who Daniel2 is, but I suspect it is one who wrote before, at the time of the major column on the battle between the Times and the News. Best, Don Bauder

ClayinNP Aug. 19, 2010 @ 4:13 p.m.

Well, here we go again..... You would think that we should focus news stories on that such as making gay marriage legal or doing whatever it takes to get that much closer to doing so. BUT here we are taking more hits at the GLT that has been around San Diego for more than I can remember and has donated so much time and money towards so many causes for gay rights yet the minute things get rough as they have for so many small businesses some miserable people make themselves feeling better by dishing out names, publishing personal records, hell I say everyone release their financial records so that we can all know everyones life and how "interesting" it truly is.It really makes me dislike the majority of gay people today how they constantly waste their time on someones loss. Shame on you. BTW WATCHDOG....whos been sitting on your lap..I sense that your life has been pretty empty. Just sayin....

newsfollower11 Aug. 19, 2010 @ 4:18 p.m.

I think the Million dollar question is this- who provided this information to you? Are you going to reveal your source? Of course not, because this is journalism. I have a guess on who it could have been? Perhaps Hale Media, trying to destroy their competition one brick at a time- or perhaps the former employee being sued? Is it proper to mention those people by name? would you publish that? Nobody cares about this anymore, this is as old as you are. In fact, I am shocked that the reader, who is so "homophobic" to begin with will even allow you to publish on this matter.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 19, 2010 @ 5:41 p.m.

EEEEerrr...Perry Mason Jr., Tax liens are NOT "personal records" they are PUBLIC records.

You don't want to be listed in public records as a deadbeat tax scofflaw then pay your taxes. And stop whining like a 2 year old, it is annoying.

watchdog Aug. 19, 2010 @ 7:48 p.m.

@ ClayinNP... Ruff Ruff!!!! Sounds like I hit a nerve perhaps? You must know first hand of the rumor being told that Todd Klein is Mike Portantino's puppet or lap dog. btw..You could not handle who has been sitting on my lap or what they get when they sit there but I suspect you are one of those boys that sure would like to try!

Also what kind of idiot are you, do you not realize these kinds of records are "Public Record" as surfpup said.

And the million dollar question 'newsfollower11' is not who provided these records to Don but why are such a stupid person to think Don is not seasoned enough in his career that he knows how to find and get the facts for himself.

Again all this is public record. Do you not think Don would be following up to see how all this original story unfolds as lawsuits and who knows what else may follow...like possible jail time for employees of the GLT.

Yes yes cry all you like that not enough news coverage is in the world about equal rights. I think plenty is being covered on a continus basis but we also need to stay on top of the scumbags of the world that try and gain a foot hold on the backs of others like alledgeldy Mike Portantio does or how he allegedly uses people to gain what he needs and then tosses them to the side to find the next person he can try and allegedly manipulate.

From the original storys and word on the street sounds like pretty much everything that has been covered thus far might be the truth. I guess all will be told once the DA finishes their investigation.

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 8:13 p.m.

Response to post #15: Are you suggesting I should have ignored this suspension? This isn't how journalism works. I called Portantino, and others, and posted a very balanced piece. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 8:17 p.m.

Response to post #16: Of course I don't reveal my source -- particularly since in this case the person wouldn't tell me who he was. But I did get a copy of the document. That's what I needed. I wouldn't have posted it without authentication. Incidentally, the Reader had no idea I was posting this until it was a done deal. Don't blame the Reader. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 8:23 p.m.

Response to post #17: Every year the Franchise Tax Board sends out a list of the biggest tax deadbeats in the state. A few months ago I published the names of the people in San Diego County and how much they owed. You should have heard the screams. I told them the list came from a state news release. That didn't assuage them. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 19, 2010 @ 8:28 p.m.

Response to post #18: I will say this: the district attorney is going after Gay and Lesbian Times, apparently for misstating its circulation. If that's the case, the DA should go after ALL media in the county that bloat their circulation and reach numbers. The prison would fill up in a hurry. This appears to be another case of selective prosecution. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Aug. 19, 2010 @ 8:42 p.m.

The video below shows how a seasoned journalist like Dan Rather handles critics.

David Dodd Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:05 p.m.

"If that's the case, the DA should go after ALL media in the county that bloat their circulation and reach numbers."

I hate to say this, but those of you who know, know, there isn't a daily, weekly, or monthly publication that doesn't stretch (at times, wildly so) their circulation numbers. That's the basis in which they advertise. It's sort of like the POTUS approval rating, always higher than it really is.

watchdog Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:25 p.m.

Responce to post #22. Don you are probably correct however I if the DA or any law enforcement agency is made aware of possible criminal activity don't you agree they have an obligation to act and see if there is merit to it?

Just as you pose the question as if you were supposed to ignore the suspension and not follow up to see if there was merit and act accordingly.

I do not think there is as much of a witch hunt as some of the GLT camp would love the public to believe. GLT would do anything to take the attention from the allegations of the fraud and possible other alleged illegal activites.

It seems Mike Portantino has made lots of enemies over the years. I'm surprised it has taken this long for some type of investigation to take place. The alleged activities have been heard about for years prior but it seems people finally may have had their fill and are now pushing something to be done about it. If that includes law enforcement needing to be involved for alleged criminal activity then so be it.

As the GLT said when they publicly called out Auntie Helen's..."FRAUD IS FRAUD"

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:34 p.m.

Funny!!!! . . . . the district attorney is going after Gay and Lesbian Times, apparently for misstating its circulation =========== You have to be kidding me!!!! If she is going after the GLT over an issue like that she needs to go....the UT inflates it's circulation-is she going after the UT???

pentagon Aug. 19, 2010 @ 9:43 p.m.

QUOTATIONS BY GREAT MEN IN LGBT HISTORY:

"We simply made a mistake." Michael Portantino

Oh dear...not again.

How many publishers does the GLT need just to pay their f*g bills?

And how many "simple mistakes" is Mr Portantino allowed before someone notices a less than simple pattern?

Oh... that's right ... maybe the FBI and the DA and the Franchise Tax Board and half the attorneys in town have the answer to that question.

thestoryteller Aug. 20, 2010 @ 12:23 a.m.

I believe Daniel2 and ClayinNP are reading way too much into this story. I believe that Mr. Bauder, being a jornalist, was looking for a story, rather than a target. And no one can say that Ms. Bonnie Dumanis is launching a witchhunt against the GLBT. If I am not mistaken, she is gay.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 20, 2010 @ 8:11 a.m.

Daniel2 ClayinNP newsfollower11

All three of these accounts were opened yesterday and have just 1 post-the ones here.

They are all obviously connected to the dispute personally, and have an agenda.

Come clean folks, what is your stake in this dispute and why not give concrete info instead of unsupported comments.

watchdog Aug. 20, 2010 @ 8:46 a.m.

"This is purely sensational journalism at best and reeks of personality issues rather than legitimate newsreporting. Shame on you Don Bauder! I thought you were better than this."

Yes, shame on you Don for simply doing your job!! Give it a rest Daniel2.

@ Surfpuppy.....you can bet the three names you listed are employees of the GLT or partners of them.

My sense is they can feel the vultures hovering above ready to swoop down to feed on the carcasses and they are trying every last ditch effort to prevent this if they can.

BYE BYE GLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:30 a.m.

Response to post #23: We're in the business of stirring up discussion, including disagreement. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:32 a.m.

Response to post #24: All except the Reader, of course. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:38 a.m.

Response to post #25: Trouble is, when the DA is actually handed a case of obvious fraud, she looks the other way if it involves anyone close to the establishment or involved in her side of the political agenda. See LiMandri/Mannino columns for starters. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:40 a.m.

Response to post #26: Going after the U-T? Don't make me laugh. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:42 a.m.

Response to post #27: My, this media battle is heating up. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:44 a.m.

Response to post #28: Yes, the DA is gay, too. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:46 a.m.

Response to post #29: It's obvious that many of the posters on this one have an axe to grind on one side or the other. I don't have a problem with that, even though I am in the middle. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9:49 a.m.

Response to post #30: The Times is far older than the News. The News has some prominent supporters such as Carl DeMaio -- and, it appears, Bonnie Dumanis. I didn't necessarily mean financial supporters. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 12:38 p.m.

Response to post #40 (and to #31, which I somehow missed): I do not know who provided the document. It was authentic. That is what was important to me at the time. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 12:41 p.m.

Response to post #41: There is a war going on between these publications and both sides say there is no war. Hmmm. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 20, 2010 @ 2:12 p.m.

I think the Reader was upset with that "lawsuit" comment Tim made (and I copied).

watchdog Aug. 20, 2010 @ 2:30 p.m.

What did I miss??? Dang just when it was getting good!! Lawsuit???? Did someones lawyer get involved? Don what are you stirring up here on this blog? :)

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 5:41 p.m.

Response to post #44: Perhaps. I'm not privy to these things. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 5:43 p.m.

Response to post #45: I shouldn't talk about something that was removed. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 20, 2010 @ 7:15 p.m.

My lips are sealed on comments 40 and 41 too.

Don Bauder Aug. 20, 2010 @ 9 p.m.

Response to post #48: JW will be so happy that your lips are sealed. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Aug. 20, 2010 @ 10:04 p.m.

The deleted comments were cached by Yahoo as of 10 pm today. It did no good to remove them from the blog.

David Dodd Aug. 21, 2010 @ 3:10 a.m.

"It did no good to remove them from the blog."

I don't know Burwell. I think that the Reader simply doesn't want identities made public. They can only be accountable for so much. So long as due dillegence is done, you know. Trying to control internet content is akin to what Bukowski said about politics, and I can't repeat that here, but it had something to do with a cat and I'll let you look that up on your own ;)

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 21, 2010 @ 7:04 a.m.

And the Reader should be concerned with identities and privacy.

If some comments were made that were dafamatory then they should be removed.

Don Bauder Aug. 21, 2010 @ 10:03 a.m.

Response to post #50: I would not say that removal did no good. We did our part. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 21, 2010 @ 10:05 a.m.

Response to post #51: This is how dumb I am: I don't even know who Bukowski is. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 21, 2010 @ 10:07 a.m.

Response to post #52: I don't believe the comments were defamatory, as I remember them. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 21, 2010 @ 11:48 a.m.

No, I agree, they were not defamatory-but they did invade two peoples privacy.

Don Bauder Aug. 21, 2010 @ 9:25 p.m.

Response to post #56: I guess so. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Aug. 22, 2010 @ 11:04 a.m.

good catch SurfPuppy...it's this kind of commenting that makes me wonder what's up and if ax grinding is being employed by the brand new commenter...no matter how sophisticated the verbiage is...

but u know Seuss...hahahahahahaha...and that makes u tops in my book

Don Bauder Aug. 22, 2010 @ 2:06 p.m.

Response to post #58: A lot of our posters are grinding axes. No problem there unless they violate rules. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Aug. 22, 2010 @ 2:28 p.m.

i wondered what those sparks flying in the air were ;-)

Don Bauder Aug. 22, 2010 @ 9:48 p.m.

Response to post #59: The axe has to be sharpened for the guillotine. Best, Don Bauder

HellcatCopley Aug. 25, 2010 @ 1:01 p.m.

San Diego has a politically active and numerically significant gay community. Before the recession the city had three gay weeklies. The only time saw even one at the UT was when the advertising director grimly thumbed through an issue, noting the full-page automotive ads that had flown the coop.

It was another of the areas where the UT was significantly out of step with the changing times. For awhile in the ‘90s the UT ran a paid personals ad service. Among the categories were “men seeking women” and “women seeking men.” The UT flatly refused any gay categories and suggested such users use the third category, “just seeking friends.”

David Dodd Aug. 25, 2010 @ 4:19 p.m.

"San Diego has a politically active and numerically significant gay community."

I think that's why I'm surprised to see members of that community sometimes going after one another. The gay community has had to fight so much for so long, and now it seems to be on the threshhold of finally achieving the equality it fought for. It's a bummer to see that overshadowed in San Diego.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2010 @ 5:22 p.m.

Response to post #92: I vaguely remember that flap. Have things changed under the new management? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2010 @ 5:29 p.m.

Response to post #63: It's true gays have made tremendous progress, and that's good. But I have never heard of a group, whether based on ethnicity, lifestyle choice, or whatever, that did not have internal scraps. Bellicosity is part of the human makeup. That's good for journalists. What would we do without hostilities to report? Best, Don Bauder