• Scam Diego alerts

An analysis by the Center on Policy Initiatives of 2007 U.S. Census Bureau data shows that households of people of Asian extraction had the highest median income in the county: $75,686. In second place were whites at $70,486. Lagging were Hispanics at $45,540 and African-Americans at $44,662. Asians have many high-powered tech jobs in San Diego County and around the U.S. The median household income for the county was $61,794, up only 1 percent, adjusted for inflation, from 2006. Inflation-adjusted median annual earnings at $31,919 were down 1 percent. The poverty rate was 11.1 percent, and 45.1 percent of adults living below the federal poverty threshold were working full-time or part-time. The highest poverty rate was in El Cajon, 20.6 percent. Closely following were San Marcos at 14.5 percent and Vista at 14.1. Household income continued to be distributed in an unbalanced way. The richest 20 percent had 49 percent of the income. The lowest 20 percent had 4 percent.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

MarkScha Aug. 27, 2008 @ 7:05 a.m.

Asia is too diverse to simply say Asian. If someone calls my wife Asian, she specifies "South Asian." I personally believe what counts is family and community to education.

Don Bauder Aug. 27, 2008 @ 7:12 a.m.

Response to posts #5: You apparently are mainly a nurture person. I believe nature is most important, but nurture is a close second. Best, Don Bauder

MarkScha Aug. 27, 2008 @ 7:08 a.m.

Oops: "family and community committment to education."

JohnnyVegas Aug. 26, 2008 @ 5:25 p.m.

Very interesting numbers-especially the full time workers who live in poverty (45%).

Don, this link to excess is a special present from me to you-enjoy (PS-can you beleiev it??)!

Ponzi Aug. 26, 2008 @ 6:51 p.m.

One walk around any local college, say UCSD, and it's easy to see why Asians make more money. They get good grades, they stay in school, they stay out of trouble, they stay out of debt.

Don Bauder Aug. 26, 2008 @ 9:07 p.m.

Response to post #1: The 45.1 percent figure refers to those working both full-time and part-time. I listened to the Cowboys owner make his maudlin presentation. I felt nauseous and had to turn it off. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 26, 2008 @ 9:10 p.m.

Response to post #2: Amen. Some say they have another advantage: they are smarter than other ethnic groups, particularly in math. I'm sure this will incur the wrath of some readers. I am not a racist, but I do believe a large percentage of Asians are blessed with high intelligence. Best, Don Bauder

MarkScha Aug. 27, 2008 @ 10:57 a.m.

From what I have read the brain is amazingly plastic. Nurture or its absence is key.

Don Bauder Aug. 27, 2008 @ 12:06 p.m.

Response to post #8: A lot of well-informed people believe in the tabula rasa concept. I don't, but I'm no expert in the field. Best, Don Bauder

Fred Williams Aug. 27, 2008 @ 1:06 p.m.

Don, have you read The Blank Slate by Pinker? The best debunking of the tabula rasa theory I've seen.

Best,

Fred

Don Bauder Aug. 28, 2008 @ 10:25 p.m.

Response to post #10: I have a lot of reading to catch up on, but that one sounds compelling. Best, Don Bauder