Matt Potter 10:28 p.m., March 6
Cheap tacos in the Courtroom
Yes, Virginia, there are affordable deals in La Jolla
Psst. Wanna eat cheap in La Jolla?
Point one, hit happy hour, point two, make sure you’re at Jose’s Courtroom (1037 Prospect Street, La Jolla, 858-454-7655). Specially on a Tuesday.
Taco Tuesday's taco deals extend beyond the 7:00 p.m. happy hour limit till the kitchen closes.
That means deals like $1.50 carne asada or chicken “street tacos,” meaning half size tortillas. Then fish, and “TJ-style” tacos (carne asada and chorizo), are $2, and lobster and shrimp tacos go for $2.50.
Best taco? For me, carne asada-chorizo, because that sharp salty chorizo flavor upgrades everything.
The place has been going forty years, and looks it. But that’s okay. It still has that Baja beer bucket party spirit, and where else in The Jewel can you get these food deals and like $2 Bud Lights?
And why’s it called the “Courtroom”? More in next week’s Tin Fork.
More like this:
- Coronado street taco wars: Costa Azul steps up to the plata! — April 2, 2013
- La Fachada Logan Heights: Gordita vs. mulita — April 2, 2013
- Downtown Ue Kara: Sushi goes Mexican? — Jan. 3, 2013
- Baked Potato – TJ-style — May 10, 2012
- Scoreboard: Pigs Do Fly...In IB — April 25, 2012