Daniel Powell 1:06 p.m., Jan. 22
Sushi Deli 2 downtown: If you could bottle their secret…
Is it a rock star? Is it an iPad 5 launch? Is it their soy sauce?
This was the scene downtown at 3rd and Broadway, next to the Spreckels Theater.
Except this crowd has nothing to do with rock stars or showbiz.
They’re lining up to get into Sushi Deli 2.
What is it about this place (Sushi Deli 2, 135 Broadway between 1st and 2nd Avenues, 619-233-3072) that makes this a nightly occasion. Every chef’s erotic dream.
A rough sampling of the crowd.
John: “It’s the prices.”
Hayley: “It’s the prices, and the amount you get. It’s huge.”
Anna: “It’s the food and the atmosphere. Just look around you. Everybody’s always kind of excited. We know who we are.”
Kevin: “Look, it’s nice, the food isn’t bad, and you get plenty, but bottom line, it’s the, well, prices."
Spare a thought for poor Baja Fresh, next door.
All those people right outside the door, so near, but so far.
More like this:
- Love Boat Sushi — May 6, 2013
- Snooze you can use: Ping Pong tonight at Snooze, Hillcrest! — March 22, 2013
- Broadway bargain: Taking Time Out for a quesadilla — Feb. 25, 2013
- Currant's HH: Mussel deal makes a ripple — Jan. 10, 2013
- Sora on Broadway: Drink and ye shall eat — Jan. 4, 2013