• Feast! alerts

People from New York love Bronx Pizza. The Mission Hills shop has the Empire State crowd completely on lockdown. It might have something to do with the decor, which is a constant homage to the Big Apple; its sports teams, famous faces, architecture, and history. To be fair, there are quite a few radical pieces of flair plastered on the walls, like a vintage Rocky III poster with the Italian Stallion in full swagger.

None

The shop looks minuscule from without, but the interior is actually somewhat labyrinthine. There's a big porch section between two smaller dining rooms, the first of which has the pizza case and the register.

None

The menu is simplicity itself: they sell pizza. Slices start at $2 and whole pies start at $13.50. Soft drinks--available in only one size -- are $1.50. Bronx Pizza is definitely well within the range of "cheap eats."

None

I had a few slices, one of them topped with vegetables and the other a "white mushroom" with ricotta cheese and no red sauce. My first impression was that the crust was crunchy. It may be the crispiest crust I've had in recent memory, which is no small feat. They were very thin, but even after being heated up the slices didn't bend when I picked them up. I didn't even have to fold them. Crisp crust being a strong selling point for a lot of people, I can report that Bronx delivers in that respect.

The veggie slice was great for what it was, but it was the white mushroom slice that really took me by surprise. The creamy ricotta cheese, savory mushrooms, and extra-crunchy crust were an excellent combo. I went back for a second slice.

None

Bronx Pizza represents East Coast pizza style very well. Thin slices, crispy crust, and a "less is more" approach to toppings. The place also has a certain vibe from the staff that reflects an East Coast mentality. There's a sort of tough-guy aesthetic coming from behind the counter that seems, frankly, a little out of place in Uptown San Diego, but it's kind of a haven to transplants (of which there are many in town) who are looking for a slice that's served up without anyone telling you "no worries."

None

111 Washington Street
619-291-3341
Sun-Th 11-10
Fr-Sat 11-11

• Feast! alerts

Comments

Scott Marks May 16, 2012 @ 11:11 p.m.

Some of the absolute worst pizza I have ever eaten in my life. The crust is flaccid and tasteless and the squirrel droppings that pass for sausage is vile. The boxes New York pies come in taste better than this.

nan shartel May 17, 2012 @ 2:10 p.m.

and it made u constipated 2 huh Scott?!

Scott Marks May 17, 2012 @ 4:05 p.m.

The frozen White Castles chaser helped to clean house.

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa May 17, 2012 @ 3:26 p.m.

I'm surprised the great Scott Marks didn't call the author on his movie-related gaffe.

Rocky is NOT a symbol of New York City but of its proud rival Philadelphia.

Scott Marks May 17, 2012 @ 4:03 p.m.

Exactly! Bronx is to pizza what "Rocky III" is to cinema.

Ian Pike May 17, 2012 @ 5:21 p.m.

I guess Rocky III takes place, at least in part, at Madison Square Garden! But, yeah, you're right that Rocky Balboa is a Philly symbol.

Amazing how small Stallone looks at the start of that movie in comparison to Hulk Hogan. I was just watching that on YouTube earlier this week (after snapping the photo of that poster). Hulkster was HUGE in his day!

Scott Marks May 17, 2012 @ 8:24 p.m.

I stood next to Stallone once and I swear the guy is 4 ft 3 in. He's no bigger than a rabbit on its hind legs. And if you had his tan you'd throw yours away.

ErnieGrimm May 17, 2012 @ 4:45 p.m.

Careful, Marks, or your have your Big Screen blog partner, Matthew Lickona all up in your business.

Lickona is a Bronx lover.

Scott Marks May 17, 2012 @ 8:19 p.m.

I trust his taste in film, not pizza. One day the three of us will go to Lefty's and I'll show you a pie what is a pie!

Ian Pike May 18, 2012 @ 3:27 p.m.

I go there every Tuesday night. Blog to come someday....

Matthew Lickona May 18, 2012 @ 4:49 p.m.

Been there, ate that, Mr. Marks Look, either the crust at Bronx is flaccid, as you claim, or it's super-crispy, as Mr. Pike claims. A lot hangs on which experience is accurate. I find that if I order a slice there, the crust is crispy. If I bring it home, it improves with a couple of minutes in a 400 degree oven. Lefty's has many virtues. But is the debate here New York v. Chicago or whether Bronx does New York right?

M. E. May 19, 2012 @ 5:52 p.m.

"The Mission Hills shop..."

It's in the heart of Hillcrest.

Ian Pike May 19, 2012 @ 7:02 p.m.

It's between Mission Liquor and Mission Hills Bike Shop, both of which could arguably be in Hillcrest. I think these things are somewhat fluid at the edges!