Stuart Cardwell 9 a.m., Sept. 28
Little Italy Spreads to Columbia!
More changes a-coming in the office district around Columbia and B. So far, Karl Strauss and the W Hotel have been about the only reason to fork off this western end of Broadway and explore lawyerland behind.
But Via Spresso (1050 Columbia) promises to be an all-around Italian-style café with, yes, the gelato rack up front, but also plenty of interesting savory foods like pizzas and soups and salads as well. Plus sidewalk space for a decent-sized terrazza.
CCDC, the Centre City Development Corporation, like the guys you really have to be nice to if you want to start a place, say they will decide February 24th if Spresso gets the green light.
But things must be looking pretty okay, because they’re already putting all the signage up.
Sure, Spresso could just turn into another office lunch take-out, but it sounds more like a place where you can get interesting stuff like flatbreads.
Hey, maybe another place for schiacciate — the totally delicious grilled eggplant focaccia sandwich I first had at Cremalose in the Gaslamp (840 Fifth Avenue) the other night.
If they’re as good as that, things could definitely be looking up for this Cinderella end of our proto-Champs Elysées.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Beach Bar On B: Tide Out? — Feb. 13, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011