Matt Potter 4:35 p.m., Sept. 3
Breakfast, Santa Fe Style
Jimmy's used to people like me, wild eyed, tickets in hand, minutes to go before the train hauls out.
Catching the Coaster. Still got to navigate that God-awful ticket machine to get the Coaster add-on to my Compass Card. But first things first.
So I'm here at the Silver Streak Cafe inside the Santa Fe Depot's concourse (at Kettner and Broadway, downtown), desperate for the black stuff.
Silver Streak Cafe
Jimmy's look says, "Take a deep breath, think yoga, remember why you're standing here."
They have tables and chairs here in the concourse, but who has time for that? I ask for a coffee ($1.50), and -- what the heck -- I grab the nearest pastry. It's a cinnamon roll ($3). Shameless, but I figure the running I'll do today, we'll burn this off no time at all.
This is about 7:40 a.m. Halfway through Jimmy's day. He opens up at 5:30.
"Over there, by the window," he says. He can see me looking wildly around for the sweeteners, stirrers, milk.
"Do you get a lot like me?" I ask.
"I get a lot like you."
What $4.50 buys: coffee, cinnamon roll
Rolling up Rose Canyon
More like this:
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012
- F. Scott Fitzgerald vs. The Movies on the set of The Great Gatsby: A Fantasy — Oct. 26, 2011
- The Title or Trailer Game — Oct. 18, 2011
- On a (Cinnamon) Roll — Aug. 25, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011