Jay Allen Sanford 9:30 p.m., July 29
Nobu? No Way. But That’s Okay.
The most popular eatery on Broadway?
I’m betting this place right next to the Spreckels Theater. Sushi Deli 2.
And picky eaters will say snooty things like “Oh it's just Cali-sushi.” Me: It’s good honest Japanese eats for really good honest prices.
Today when I go by, there’s a crowd outside like a movie star has turned up. The group clustered by the entrance, Roger, Charlene, Cassandra, Ashley and Rick, say what I say. It’s always a good deal, and the atmosphere’s kinda easygoing Japanese.
Charlene, Rick, Roger, Ashley, Cassandra, shivering outside
And did we mention the deals?
Plus, anytime, six-piece chicken katsu for $3.99. Or – down to basics - teriyaki chicken with rice and salad and miso soup, $4.99.
Not to mention Bud Light drafts for 99 cents.
So this is the deal. If you’re going somewhere in the Gaslamp - say, Nobu, heh heh - go here first. Then when those hi-rent-laden menus get slapped before you, you can honestly say “Think I’ll just have an app. Not that hungry.”
But remember: the one thing you need lots of is time. Evenings, that line outside often starts at 4.30 p.m., and the evening session doesn't start till five.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Part 6: Famous Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen (Exclusive) — Dec. 8, 2011
- Part 4: Famous Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen (Exclusive) — Nov. 30, 2011
- The Title or Trailer Game 2: The New Batch — Nov. 7, 2011
- The Greatest Franchise You've Never Heard Of — Sept. 27, 2011