Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., July 27
OM in OB
“It’s supposed to be ‘OM’ on a cupcake,” says Maria Sanchez. The Hindu symbol for the Original Vibration sits right beside the Stephanie’s Café sign in her window (Stephanie’s Café and Bakery, 4879 Voltaire Street) in OB.
I’ve interrupted Maria painting away, inside and out. “I’ve had this place for six years,” she says. “And I’m always redecorating.” This week she’s going black and purple, but leaving those yellow and black tiles alone.
So yes, the colors change, but the food’s consistent: vegan, organic, eggless, gluten-free, guilt-free, you name it. Pizzas (ten bucks up), sandwiches ($6.75), and cakes you don’t have to confess to your Weight Watcher minder about, keep OBethans coming back.
Like, her German chocolate cake with caramelized coconut pecan filling and chocolate ganache frosting, $7 a guilt-free slice. There is one rub: she’s only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday, eleven to seven.
More like this:
- Going Veggie at Fern Street Cafe — March 16, 2012
- Street Surprise — Nov. 28, 2011
- Reborn in TJ: Beautiful Claudia's Eggnog Cake — Nov. 7, 2011
- No More Free Danish — Sept. 7, 2011
- New York Bakery: Your Typical 1950s, Back-East, Back-Then Bakery — Feb. 9, 2011