Don Bauder 10:33 p.m., April 24
Where O'Bethans Break Fast
Aah. French toast, cawfee roast, on the coast. Can’t beat those smells wafting past you in the briny ocean air.
This is OB in the mawnin’, at ye Old Townhouse (Old Townhouse Family Restaurant, 4941 Newport Ave., Ocean Beach).
French toast? Cholesterol City, I know, but it just feels right when you’re at the counter chowing and slurping away next to a bunch of O’Bethans, talking politics, sports, fishin’ prospects for the day.
This place is one of the venerables, a diner’s diner. Certain things you can rely on here. The sun’ll come up, tide’ll come in, and Ted the owner’s going to be here, with his wife Kathy, and his mom, and his dad, and Ramona the waitress, who’s been taking orders and topping up coffees for 25 years.
And hey, French toast is still only $3.75. My personal fave: three eggs with chicken fried steak ($8.50). But maybe the best deal is the breakfast special (three eggs, pancakes or waffles, sausage or bacon, and hash browns for $7.50).
Health food? Maybe not, but you’ve got the beach, the pier, and all day to run those carbs off.
Ted's family has been running this place for nearly 40 years
Ted, and one of the waitresses, Caryn
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012
- In the Land of Big Umbrellas (and Veggie Burgers) — Oct. 27, 2011
- Meet the New Hollywood, Same as the Old Hollywood — Sept. 2, 2011
- 100 Worst Album Covers of All Time — May 25, 2011