Matt Potter 6:30 p.m., May 5
- Community Blog
- Encanto Gas Holder
Recalling Tony Young?
The word has been out since this morning that there will be an attempted recall of 4th District councilmember Tony Young for supporting the mayor in his call for Carolyn Smith's resignation as head of the Southeastern Economic Development Corporation (SEDC).
No word yet on how much fundraising has been done at the Catfish Club to promote the recall. Right now, the guess is that it'll be somewhat less than the cost of SEDC's full-color postcards sent to area residents every few months...
My take: unless the backers of this "movement" want to see it backfire on the existing Southeast San Diego political machine, there needs to be some honesty about precisely why SEDC paid Smith and other SEDC insiders too much compared to the City-approved budget. The honesty is necessary because if memory serves, the City Council was busy freezing all city employee pay at the time, and was also arguing that all redevelopment agencies in town do the same for executive compensation.
YUCK UPDATE: Pat Flannery has posted a blog "More to SEDC scandal than Carolyn Smith's bonus" at http://blogofsandiego.com/
I just found this info while checking out Don Bauder's blog here on CCDC and Nancy Graham. I haven't had a look a Flannery's source documents yet, but there seems to be plenty of links to them, so I have some reading to do!
More like this:
- How SEDC proves we don't really have a strong mayor — Oct. 1, 2008
- Recent SEDC Audit to City Raises More Questions than Answers — Sept. 18, 2008
- SEDC Saga Continues: ex-presidents and opening moves — Aug. 22, 2008
- SEDC board member: "It's all about perception" — Aug. 14, 2008
- For In-coming SEDC president: Having your interview printed in the paper may not be a good thing... — Aug. 12, 2008