Syltoya Sterling 5:30 p.m., Sept. 3
- Community Blog
- Encanto Gas Holder
SEDC board member: "It's all about perception"
From this city's daily newspaper this morning (Aug. 14), a quote from a Southeastern Economic Development Corporation (SEDC) board member on why the board chairman was not ousted three weeks after the same board fired its outgoing president, Carolyn Smith, for a variety of perceived problems:
" 'No one has been accused of anything,' [SEDC board member Charles] Simpson said. 'It's all perception. We need to take that into consideration.' "
It is hoped by some in this community that action by Mayor Jerry Sanders to replace all of the lame duck appointees on the SEDC board will help to improve the public perception of SEDC. Most of the board members are serving on extended terms after the official expiration of their appointments on the city-chartered board, in some cases years ago.
In any case, the action by Sanders, in response to requests for updated board appointments by 4th District Councilmember Tony Young, is the least that should be done in a non-profit development agency that has seen its share of public outrage recently.
It is a matter of perception.
The curious are wondering how all of this has been perceived by the nice people in the District Attorney's office and the County Grand Jury.
I'm not telling.
More like this:
- No SEDC Firing Bonus Check Soon for Smith — Nov. 8, 2008
- Recent SEDC Audit to City Raises More Questions than Answers — Sept. 18, 2008
- Fraud, CCDC, SEDC, and the not-so-controlling parent CSDRA (AKA San Diego City Council) — Sept. 12, 2008
- SEDC president to board in 2006: give up affordable housing monitoring and enforcement? — Aug. 29, 2008
- SEDC Saga Continues: ex-presidents and opening moves — Aug. 22, 2008