My girlfriend just got back from Maryland, where she was taking care of a sick relative. And this made me think of something that happened in that area earlier this month.

Now, you hear about wedding proposals with airplanes that fly the banner that says "Will you Marry Me?" This proposal involved a helicopter. And not in a good way.

A couple was hiking a rugged trail at Great Falls, a popular spot at the Potomac River. And well, it is called Great Falls. And that's exactly what the woman did.

She fell and lost consciousness, after he proposed.

She slipped 10 feet down a cliff, and the helicopter was brought in to rescue her.

The weirdest way this story was reported happened on the local news. They teased it with the male talking head saying "We'll tell you her answer next."

And when they came back from commercials and did the story, they never did tell us if the woman accepted the proposal. So their goofy cute line wasn't even appropriate on that level.

And it makes me wonder if the copywriters are sitting there saying "What jokes can we come up with? He gave her a rock, then fell from a rock. No, what else?"

Although, had she said no and then fallen from a cliff, I'm guessing the authorities would've had a few questions for the guy.

One courtship on the other end of the coast, in L.A., never got to the point of a proposal. In fact, it really didn't get off the ground.

The guy that was doing the wooing, was fined $1,000 and ordered to perform 120 hours of community service just for asking the woman out.

She was the sister of fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander. The guy that asked her out, Alvin Dymally, was on the jury for a trial involving her brother and a rape and sexual assault charges on models.

Apparently, that's contempt of court. Come on! We all hate jury duty. At least if you let us date our fellow jurors, or the defendants and defendants relatives, it'll give us something to look forward to. I'm already thinking of a reality show that could be called "Wapner and Wollery -- Love Connection Behind Bars".

Back to the case: I'm not sure how he got Sanjana's phone number. He supposedly passed a note in the cafeteria. And she was charged with contempt as well.

I'm guessing that means she accepted the date and wasn't the one that reported him.

If he ever proposes, he should do it in a courthouse. He could say he has to go in for some traffic violation, and when they put their items in that plastic basket that goes thru the X-ray machine, the ring could be sitting there as it comes out the other end.

That would be romantic.

I'm guessing the brother wouldn't be able to attend the nuptials.

Comments

CuddleFish Sept. 22, 2009 @ 1:54 p.m.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't hate jury duty. "Enjoyment" wouldn't be the right word, but definitely didn't hate it.

Josh Board Sept. 22, 2009 @ 4:47 p.m.

I was looking forward to my jury duty experience. Then I was the first one dismissed. By the prosecutor. I wanted to tell her...I thought the guy was guilty, even though the case didn't start. I feel if they did all this to bring the jackass in, he probably did it. So, in my mind, he's guilty until proven innocent. Now, that doesn't mean I'm disregarding all the evidence. I'll look at everything thrown out onto the table. And maybe I'll change my mind.

But with the guy that punched his ex-girlfriend in the Gaslamp, I'm not sure what they could've said that would've possibly made the outcome different.

I just got a notice for jury duty the other day. I won't be attending.

CuddleFish Sept. 22, 2009 @ 5:21 p.m.

My understanding is you don't "attend" anymore. It's a call-in system; most people aren't required to come in. A big difference from the old days.

I've never wanted to be seated, or dismissed, (been seated and dismissed) except one time. The accused, a blonde woman, had stabbed her boyfriend to death. The judge warned us that we would see pictures that were very graphic. I was a happy camper when they dismissed me!

Josh Board Sept. 22, 2009 @ 9:40 p.m.

Ya know what's weird? What do the photos of the actual victims wounds actually add to the case? It doesn't prove anything towards guilt or innocence.

There have been some great court room bits done by The Kids in the Hall. And one classic by SNL, where Belushi falls asleep. The jurors are handed a note that has the graphic language the rapist said to his victim. Each juror reads the words, that the woman on the witness stand didn't want to utter. Belushi is sleeping, and Gilda Rander or Jane Curtain nudge him. He wakes up, and they hand him the note. He reads it, with eyebrow pierced. He looks back at the juror that handed it to him and nods his head yes.

verolicas69 Sept. 23, 2009 @ 10:40 p.m.

When i read the first paragraph I thought you were geting married!!???

David Dodd Sept. 23, 2009 @ 10:44 p.m.

Yeah, vero, I sort of thought the same thing at first glance.

Josh Board Sept. 24, 2009 @ 12:29 a.m.

For some reason, when I try to think of a title for these blogs, song lyrics always seem to pop into my brain.

David Dodd Sept. 24, 2009 @ 12:32 a.m.

I thought about that too, Josh, but not until after I wondered if you actually popped the question...

Josh Board Sept. 24, 2009 @ 3:35 p.m.

Chapel update: I heard that Lamar Odom (Lakers) is going to marry one of the Kardashian girls (Chloe, I believe). They've dated 6 whole weeks! Which means the marriage will probably last 6 whole months!

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 24, 2009 @ 4:18 p.m.

By JoshBoard

Errr.........6 days is more like it. Kloe is a odrk with the brain power of a circus chimp-like th eother "Kardashians".

Now their Dad-their real Dad-he was a good guy and smart man......looks like Bruce Jenner rubbed off on them more than Bob did.

or Sept. 24, 2009 @ 6:28 p.m.

You better watch it there surfpuppy. A remark like that will get you in all kinds of trouble.....with the ASPCA. Everyone knows circus chimps are way smarter than any of the Kardashian clan, especially their dimwitted mother!!! LMAO

Josh Board Sept. 25, 2009 @ 1:18 a.m.

Oh, that mother is the biggest dope of all time. I've seen her pit the various daughters against one another. She's one evil, dumb, b***h.