Brittany Murphy died. I think she was in her early 30s.

I never saw her in that movie where she was locked up and crazy. Although, great timing for Saturday Night Live to have a cast member do an impersonation of her, saying “I’m not gonna tell” and looking drugged out of her mind.

I loved her in Clueless. What a great film that was. And, she sounded great in the animated and underrated “King of the Hill.”

But when someone like her or River Phoenix die young…and we find out it’s drugs (allegedly, at this point)…how can you have sympathy? It’s one thing to have sympathy for an old person that smoked, when you find out the Army gave them cigarettes with their food (and before a time when everyone really understood all the dangers).

It’s the same way I find it hard to have sympathy when all these high school kids are driving drunk and dying. There comes a point where parents have to step up and become parents. Maybe the first story on the news should’ve been a wake-up call for parents, that following laws (drinking age, curfews, etc) might make a lot of sense.

There are rumors that Murphy married a guy that did drugs (I remember him being arrested at the airport fairly recently for some charge like that). Also that she had plastic surgery and became addicted to painkillers. Other reports have said she battled with eating disorders.

Well, someone should’ve checked her in to some kind of rehab. It worked for Amy Winehouse (although, I heard she did stand up and scream the f-word at a performance of Snow White recently).

I heard that Murphy’s former boyfriend Ashton Kutcher Tweeted “See you on the other side.” Not sure if that’s sweet, or just bizarre. And, if we were to guess which Ashton girlfriend would die first…well, smart money would’ve been on the oldest – his wife Demi who is 15 years his senior.

Lindsay Lohen apparently Tweeted a few things about Murphy as well. Talk about pots and kettles.

We saw Chris Farley pop up in a commercial with David Spade. I’m wondering how long before Brittany Murphy appears in one of those.

I had an argument with a female friend years ago about Murphy. It started when she said “Brittany Murphy is hideous.” My stepbrother and I called her crazy for saying that. We contended that she wouldn’t get starring roles as the cute female lead, if she was “hideous.”

A few days later she had a party, and we asked the guests as they arrived. We quickly realized, it was tough to ask women this question. They seemed to hate any woman that appeared on the big screen, and for a myriad of reasons.

The guys were split about 50/50. Some said she was super hot. The others said she was ugly. Although even most of them agreed the word “hideous” was a bit harsh. She just wasn’t their type.

My friend than said “Well, with half these guys agreeing with me, you can’t say I was insane to think that.”

I then looked at two guys sitting on the couch nearby. They had agreed she was hideous. I first asked them if they said that to get on the good side of the female I was debating this with. One of them had a Cheshire grin. The other replied, “No. I just think she’s ugly. I’m not even grading on a scale with Hollywood people. She could be at this party and I’d say she was hideous.”

I then reverted back to something I probably haven’t heard another person say since 8th grade. I asked, “Would you sleep with her?” There was about a two second pause before he said “Oh yeah! Of course. I mean, she’s not that bad looking.”

I laughed so hard at this. My female friend looked both disappointed and disgusted.

She called me the next day and said “You didn’t win that debate. Guys are slime. They could think a woman is hideous and still want to sleep with her.”

I said, “Instead of forwarding me these photos of Brittany Murphy looking bad on the red carpet…maybe you should look up the definition of the word ‘hideous.”

Comments

a2zresource Dec. 22, 2009 @ 12:01 p.m.

If she were hideous, then I must be grotesque. Seriously grotesque.

psychopharm Dec. 22, 2009 @ 12:02 p.m.

I'm not sure what to think about this death...she looks like the type who had a drug problem. Actually, less than a month ago, when Brittney and her husband were returning home from Puerto Rico (after she was fired from the film she was working on for being difficult), her husband became unresponsive and the paramedics were called to LAX and transported him to the hospital right off the plane.

Then this happens. I would guess that drugs will be involved...not just prescription. From the list of drugs they found, I'm guessing that she was bipolar. They have very high addiction rates.

But, maybe she will be the first celebrity casualty to H1N1.

KarenBP Dec. 22, 2009 @ 7:15 p.m.

pretty sure she had anorexia... it killed Karen Carpenter much the same way...

Josh Board Dec. 22, 2009 @ 8:54 p.m.

I just read in the Union-Tribune a few minutes ago...that after Murphy's death, the sketch she appeared in disappeared off of Hula.com, which is an online video company that is co-owned by NBC Universal and shows the sketches.

Josh Board Dec. 22, 2009 @ 9:15 p.m.

UPDATE: not really a Murphy update, but one on Tila Tequila. I blogged about her and Merriman previously, and just wasn't up for doing another one. So, I thought for the next few days, any druggie losers (for legal purposes, I must state: I'm not saying SHE is a druggie loser) I'll just update on this page.

So, Tila is pregnant. Wanna guess the father? Well, it's her brother. I know, I know. You were thinking if something like that happened it would've been with Angelina Jolie. But, she said in a Tweet that she's going to be a surrogate mother for her brother and his wife. That's her Christmas gift to them.

My questions are: Will she chill out on the partyin' during this 9 months period? And...what person would think that her carrying a child is a good idea?

I mean, I just read two recent stories about adopted kids that went nuts and killed parents (or one that tried). One of them was the Scripps Ranch teenager. Because basically...you get the genes/intelligence your parents pass down. With Tila, not sure it's even worth the risk.

rickeysays Dec. 23, 2009 @ 12:14 a.m.

Time for a biology update, Josh. Your concern about her partying is justified(what she puts in her body while pregnant influences the development of the fetus), your concern about her genes isn't. If she's serving as a surrogate it's the genes of the mom and dad that make baby. Now the fact that dad is her brother, that you can be concerned about.

David Dodd Dec. 23, 2009 @ 2:37 a.m.

Actually, Ricky, DNA can be passed down from a surrogate mother. Look up microchimerism, it's an interesting process.

a2zresource Dec. 23, 2009 @ 8:45 a.m.

RE #8:

But not after the funeral. Or even after the autopsy. Right?

thestoryteller Dec. 23, 2009 @ 4:01 p.m.

Hideous? Ugly? And people wonder why actresses have eating disorders and get hooked on drugs...

Duhbya Dec. 23, 2009 @ 4:32 p.m.

Speaking of death: is it time to let this thread pass quickly and naturally? Shivers.