I couldn't decide what to blog about, so I'm just going to go with random thoughts that jumped into my mind today and things I saw.

I was out running errands, and heard a DJ talking about all the various cruises that are out there. He mentioned that Boys 2 Men recently did one. And I thought about how if I went on one of those, I wouldn't be sure if when I was barfing it was from one of their songs or being sea sick.

I'm picturing people jumping overboard once the music started; like some scene from Titanic. But then it hits me that the people going on it have paid the big bucks for this type of cruise. Wow. Talk about having disposable income.

And on the subject of cheesy singers, another DJ talked about the Miley Cyrus movie making so much money. I thought about how she got into trouble a month or so ago, because her and her friends were making Chinese eyes with their hands. I believe it was a photo on her myspace page or something.

I remember comedian Sarah Silverman had to apologize for making "anti-Asian" remarks, and she's a friggin' comedian! Yet, I didn't hear a lot of backlash with the Miley thing.

There was an Asian person in the photo with them (who wasn't making the eyes, although I think it would've been a funnier picture if that person made their eyes wider).

And that reminds me...I saw Tokyo! tonight at the Ken. You can skip it. Three separate stories, much like Paris, Je T'Aime (although I enjoyed that film).

It was almost worth seeing, for the one scene that showed a birth, from the babies point of view (although, maybe that Travolta movie "Look Who's Talking" did that...I dunno, I never saw it).

I had lunch at a pizza place near Horton Plaza. I saw beggers outside the restaurant and thought it was the perfect location for them. If I left with left-over pizza, I'd hand it over to them. I'd rather that then leaving it in the backseat of my car to stink it up. Or putting it in the fridge at home and throwing it out a week later after finding it buried in other, more delicious items.

I saw people selling electric cigarettes around the corner, going into the mall. I thought the homeless guys should look into that product. Not only healthier, but they wouldn't have to bum a cigarette from anybody ever again.

I ended up in Mira Mesa to play some racquetball. Afterwards I ran into Vons to pick a few things up. I grabbed a Pepsi Max and as I waiting in the express lane. I noticed a woman with no groceries, that was holding us up.

An older women in front of me sighed, before grabbing a tabloid and reading about Angelina Jolie being pregnant again.

She finally got mad (or finished the article, I'm not sure which) and moved to another aisle. She could barely pick up her 10 items.

After another minute of listening to this well-dressed blonde, and opening my Pepsi and drinking half of it...the 25-year-old said "Can you try the card again? I just want a little bit of cash back." I figured I'd say something.

When the cashier, a lady that looked to be in her mid-60s said "I've tried it. This card isn't working."

The customer said, "Should I buy something?"

The cashier replied "I don't think that would matter, because the card isn't working."

There was about four seconds of silence and I saw my opportunity and decided to pounce. I told this woman "Well, how about I pay for my groceries while you decide what you're going to do."

She looked at me and screams "Are you serious? Who the hell do you think you are?!"

The cashier...I give her credit. Instead of just standing there observing, she started swiping my items. And quickly.

I looked at this blonde woman and said, "Hey...she said it wouldn't matter if you bought something..."

And as I was about to say "So...p*ss off, so the rest of us can pay for our items and leave," -- this woman interprets this to mean I'm siding with her.

She looks at the cashier and says "Yeah! Why won't you let me buy something? I want to see your manager."

The cashier points over to him and she walks away.

I pay for my groceries and walk out. I see this woman walking to her car, carrying some bread.

I see the woman that went to the other aisle parked right next to me. I said "So much for the express lane, huh?"

She laughed and said "Tell me about it."

Comments

vchris May 7, 2009 @ 5:56 p.m.

To SDaniels:

You should definitely get more then 2 puffs in a row on an ecig. Sounds like it's a dud. The 2 piece style ecig is the way to go, nothing to maintain, clean, etc.

Good luck!

vchris May 8, 2009 @ 5:12 p.m.

joshb:

Posting that riddle at 2am was evil :)

I enjoyed it though.

vchris May 8, 2009 @ 6:16 p.m.

Another thought.

The way this model works, is the atomizer is slid into the cartridge. The cartridge holds a pad with liquid that is must make contact with in order to vaporize it.

When the vapor stops, try separating the cartridge from the atomizer and giving it a couple taps upside down to dive liquid to the area the atomizer is touching.

Not sure if it will work but worth a shot to get you through until you are taken care of by warranty.

Good luck!

SDaniels May 8, 2009 @ 6:24 p.m.

I will try it--thanks vchris, for all of the good information! And again, if this does not work, I will be sure to go for the Vapure :)

SDaniels May 8, 2009 @ 1:31 a.m.

Thanks for the info, vchris--I will exchange it forthwith! If you recommend a brand different than "SmokingEverywhere.com" I will just return it and try the brand of your recommendation.

And your plan for stub deposits is brilliant! :)

SDaniels May 4, 2009 @ 11:23 p.m.

Patches can give you nightmares. Like mainlining nicotine.

Ha! I love that. They 'just kind of' get up and leave. We should run after them. EXCUSE ME...EXCUSE ME...

Josh Board May 4, 2009 @ 12:47 a.m.

What happened to the patches? Doesn't anyone use those anymore?

Regarding water bottles, it's a great point. The problem is, you don't usually see people tossing them. They just kind of...get up and leave...with the bottle still there. So they don't get called out on their littering.

SDaniels May 8, 2009 @ 2:18 a.m.

That was pretty hilarious, J!

Yes, they do have e-cigars at the kiosk at Horton. However, I may need to take mine back...as I've mentioned a couple of times :)

SDaniels May 8, 2009 @ 2:21 a.m.

Wait a second. I'm gettin' sleepy here, but there is no WAY, Ms. Sylvester would have given you all a math problem combining both cigarettes and a homeless person...is there?

magicsfive April 22, 2009 @ 7:39 a.m.

soooo...did you look for the chocolate cookie dough ice cream?

magicsfive April 22, 2009 @ 7:40 a.m.

btw, what are electric cigarettes?????

Josh Board April 22, 2009 @ 9:14 a.m.

I didn't look for it yet. I'm going to go pick up a cake for my friends birthday today (I'm going to have them write on it "Dodgers Suck"). So, I'll look in their ice cream section and see what I find.

The electric cigarettes, from what I briefly heard the lady explain to a guy...they release a small amount of nicotine. They look like real cigarettes, and light up at the end when you inhale.

Very strange.

SDaniels April 22, 2009 @ 10:43 a.m.

Get out, Josh!!! I was at Horton, buying my electronic cigarette yesterday. Doc said "Quit... yesterday--" so this seemed like a great alternative. Smoking is VERY bad for the stomach, as well as every other evil thing it does.

So the e-cig is so cool, gives that "hit" at the back of the throat that smokers want, except it is hard to get a puff off it after the first or second try. I might take it back to "Yogi" at the kiosk there.

It has a lithium battery and a USB you plug into your computer to recharge, and has a chamber where water is turned to vapor to create the "smoke" effect.

As a guilty smoker who hates to bother anyone, and who carries around the smelly stubs rather than litter, and as someone who has smoked a few too many years, it seems a good trade on all fronts.

BTW, you can get 3 different levels of nicotine; I got the lowest possible dose since I smoked ultra lights, and then some cartridges without nicotine, so I can wean off. Ordered some flavors too; coffee, apple. They even have inhalable vitamin cartridges. If you think about it, it is like those fake cigs they give geezers to suck on, like a filter end that releases just nicotine. Except chic-er.

People asked me for cigs on the street right away, and were very confused by it.

Mine's gold with a gold case. If you see a woman holding a gold cylinder as she tools around, that might be me--if I can get the damn thing to work right :)

SDaniels April 22, 2009 @ 10:55 a.m.

A few months ago at my cousin's house, my cousin and I found a large "card" on the kitchen island, sort of stuck under a bowl of fruit. It contained a note thanking the contracter re-doing the kitchen--from my little ten-year-old twin girl cousins. There were two cartoons of faces drawn with eyes with epicanthic folds, glasses, and rabbit teeth. The captions under them read "Chinese loser."

For some reason, we broke into hilarious nervous laughter. Later, we talked to the girls. I remember something similar going around when I was a kid in grade school. Not cool. But you can only talk to them, and hope they listen in cultural studies.

lallaw April 22, 2009 @ 2:17 p.m.

Okay Josh, now you've hit on one of my biggest pet peeves: check-out line malingers. Some people are so incredibly inconsiderate at the check-out line, much like the woman you wrote about. I'm sure we all have a story. I mean, whaaaaaat was her problem? Did she think the grocery store was a bank? And then she has the nerve to crack a retort back to you instead of apologizing?

I was behind a guy at Henry's not that long ago. He had one item, a bunch of grapes, which he put in a large cart. Okay, whatever. I and my two items patiently waited our turn. Except he proceeded to park his cart at the end of the conveyor, farthest from the cashier, and then pick through the grape bunch he chose tossing those grapes he deemed unacceptable back into the cart. After about 5 min. of these (it felt like an hour) and a few knowing smiles between myself and the cashier, he suddenly realizes I am standing behind him and he shoots a glance at me. I just smiled and asked, "so, did you get them all?" He then proceeds to check out with his freshly pruned bunch of grapes (squashing a few of the rejects on the floor that fell through the cart). He's quite friendly and chatty at this point, so that is returned, but then he has the nerve to make derogatory comments about my two food choices, ala "militant vegan-ish" as was discussed ad nausem in another blog!! This guy was beyond inconsiderate. He was and I would guess remains clueless.

Josh Board April 22, 2009 @ 4:26 p.m.

SD: I always felt bad for smokers. They have to go outside. They have to stand AWAY from the door, or people will complain. And I'm not a smoker (other than cigars). But, I'm having less sympathy because of the amount of smokers that have the cigarette out the car window, so they don't stink up their car.

And, they don't think twice about throwing the lit butt out the window, which could start a fire and is littering.

lallaw...yes, check out line etiquette. A strange thing. One guy told me I should by different razors, as they'd cut the hair better and wouldn't cut my pimples. I said "I'm 39...I haven't gotten a pimple since high school." He was old, so he got a pass from me. But under other circumstances, I might tell a person commenting on my food "Can't you look at the magazine rack instead of my food? Look, Michael Jackson got a new nose, and Angelina Jolie got a new baby. That's more interesting than why I'm buying 10 boxes of Zingers."

SDaniels April 23, 2009 @ 12:08 a.m.

I suppose you mean those drivers who hang the fag out the window at a stoplight. Nice.

No, as a smoker, and still a smoker (because now the gold e-ciggy has leaked nicotine water and burned my lip), I cringe, tail between legs. We deserve no rights or respect.

Until we are back in the pack, roaming, sneering, ciggy boxes rolled up in our shirtsleeves over our biceps...cornering easy, asthmatic prey...

Oh. Sorry, like I was saying. Cringe. No self-respect.

Josh Board April 23, 2009 @ 12:55 a.m.

I disagree. I think you guys deserve rights (although, very funny discription above).

I never minded going to a concert venue or bar, and smell cigarette smoke. With a hint of pot and stale beer in the air.

I think a restaurant/bar should be able to choose if they have a smoking section.

SDaniels April 23, 2009 @ 1:21 p.m.

Thanks for acknowledging the funny, although I think your lines on how to distract the line gawker to the mag rack is even funnier. Did you see Brizzolara's column on people's reactions to interview questions about their purchases?

Ah yes, pot and stale beer. Or fine cannabis and a glass of pricey zin. Whatever. To me, a few smells of good times and good health ;) And I love those old middle of nowhere road restaurants, where you used to be able to smoke sitting in a big old plastic red booth, waiting for the waitress to bring you an impossibly huge omelette.

mike1 April 23, 2009 @ 5:51 p.m.

I think cigarette litter is a subject not mentioned enough. How many items can think of where you're almost expected to litter with it when you're finished. I once walked down the street trying to keep my head down and just look at the discarded cigarettes. The number I saw was very large and disheartening. And that was just a few block stretch.

Josh Board April 24, 2009 @ 12:12 a.m.

Mike, I couldn't agree more. As much as I would preach for cigarette smokers rights, they'd go and piss me off by just chucking their butts anywhere. When I smoke a cigar, and it's finished...I carry it around. I make sure it has been out for a long time before it's thrown away (if it's not an ashtray but a trashcan).

When I clean up my dogs poo...I sometimes have to walk around with a bag of it until I'm able to throw it away.

Yet, smokers must feel that it's just a small little item, so who cares.

One of the few times I ever disagreed with Adam Carolla on one of his rants...he was complaining about a cop that pulled him over for throwing a lit cig out his window. He said the usual, stupid cliche about how cops should be catching real criminals. Well, in my mind, the cop just did.

A fire hazard and litter, all in a two-inch cancer stick thrown from a car.

SDaniels April 24, 2009 @ 3:24 p.m.

Mike & Josh, I'm sure you already noticed, but as I wrote:

"As a guilty smoker who hates to bother anyone, and who carries around the smelly stubs rather than litter,..."

and as an environmentally-aware individual as well as guilty smoker, I have for a while carried a small pouch with a strong foil-like lining, purchased at an Asian dollar store (to bring back the Asian theme, how clever!). It has hilarious little instructions on the lining, like "FOR FOLLOWING USE WHERE LOCAL GOVERNMENT DICTATES" or something like it.

Btw, if you are ever blue and in need of a cheer-up, head on over to an Asian dollar store to read the gift wrap. English words are considered decoration by many Asians, just as Asian characters are by English speakers.

So anyway, you can extinguish your smoke in the pouch, and it's all good. Of course, nicotine is a still a pollutant, too. It makes me physically sick to see all of the butts littering our beaches, oceans, and parks, and one more reason to simply hate "people."

Anyway, I was once walking down Gilman Drive on the UCSD campus, and happened to toss down a cig in the gutter. When I used to litter butts back in my feckless 20s, I still kept it to gutters, thinking for some misguided reason that this was the way to go because the trash trucks would come along and sweep them up.

I'm on my cell talking to my man, and I hear behind me this "EXCUSE ME, EXCUSE ME, YOU DROPPED SOMETHING!!!"

I'm walking fast, deep conversation about some issue with my man, so off-guard and unawares of what is about to befall me. I stop and turn around, questioning.

This self-important little troll of a man with beard in business-casual is fuming and foaming at the mouth, pointing at the offending cigarette, lying back in the gutter. He starts a high-decibel rant about my littering, and actually screams that he bets I start forest fires. He gets in my face. Accusations grow wilder.

I ended up literally shaking and holding my hands and cell phone out in front of my face, scared this guy is going to attack me. I told him that if he didn't back off, I was going to call campus police, and darted glances around me for potential aid. Students wandered by, unconcerned. Btw, UCSD undergraduates are, for the most part, such complacent, mild, sheeplike herd creatures that it would take a nuclear meltdown or at least a real cap popped in their asses to get any reaction from them.

I finally put some distance between me and this crazy person, who eventually stomped off in the direction of the biomedical library. I stood there feeling wounded; all of my efforts to be socially and materially aware disregarded. I will not say that that little troll changed my policies, but that the decision to not litter butts came logically, in the progression of my values, and desire to leave less personal impact on the planet.

Josh Board April 24, 2009 @ 4:25 p.m.

in that situation i have to side with him over you. just barely. it stinks that you were scared, but i love that he had the **** to call you on it. my friends never want to do that, and they hate when i do. it's strange how at that time, you probably would've hated if you saw someone throw a Pepsi can out a car window, but didn't think about your cigarettes in gutters. at least you learned from it. others just continue going on their merry way, doing their own thing, and not carrying about how if affects anyone else.

mike1 April 25, 2009 @ 1 a.m.

Yes SD I did notice that you carry the butts rather than litter. That made me think of it. You are the rare exception and may I say that judging from your other posts it does not surprise me that you are. I enjoy reading them and the back and forth between you, lallaw and Josh. I'm sorry about the incident with the campus guy. In my mind, I'm always doing that with loud cell phone talkers or people in their cars who need to let everyone in a two mile radius of the red light you're at know what song they're listening to. And usually it's not even something good. Just some repetitive beat with someone shouting about the bitches and hoes and the mf'ers. I always feel like going up to them and saying "thanks for sharing!" with a big smiley face. Of course I never do. But back to littering. I can't imagine being a smoker but I know that I can't even throw a small wrapper on the ground. Just can't do it. I've carried things for blocks until I see a garbage can. But I wonder if even cigarette smokers do that because even a gum wrapper seems somehow different than a butt because you're supposed to ditch the butt on the ground and step on it.

Josh Board April 25, 2009 @ 3:32 a.m.

The "step on it" point is actually a very good one. I hadn't really given the smokers consideration on that.

SDaniels April 30, 2009 @ 4:10 p.m.

Hey, mike1, back atcha. Your testimony during "veg-gate" was among the highlights for me, and good points on the butt-tossing. Btw, all, speaking of "step on it," what is it with us and this image of idling at a light? I don't even drive, and I used it too :)

So I will say that since I've separated myself as a smoker from the butt-tossing herd, there is another kind of tossing activity out there that is swiftly becoming as much a menace, if not more--plastic water bottles!

They were all over the place at Earth Day in Balboa Park, not to mention big plastic gulpers with cute animal cartoons on them. How Earth Day-y.

One can purchase a beautiful, tough nalgene water bottle at any sports store for $10 or under. Mine has a nice ring built into the top, for easy carrying. They come in neon colors. Mine's green. Throw 'em in the dishwasher and fill up on the beverage of your choice...

Esmoker May 1, 2009 @ 7:27 p.m.

Talk about random! I actually started using the electric cigarette and I love it.

SDaniels May 1, 2009 @ 10:51 p.m.

Hey Esmoker, how come I can't get more than two hits off this thing at a time? Should I take mine back?

vchris May 7, 2009 @ 5:53 p.m.

I love the point about cigarette litter. I actually read an idea a few days ago where the notion was proposed:

Place a 5-cent deposit on every cigarette butt. Now, we’re not increasing the cost of cigarettes. In a few weeks after enactment of this deposit, I wager that every cigarette butt that’s out there will be gone.

In addition, the homeless will have another item to cash in on so this deposit would be a guarantee that butts everywhere will disappear. The way to redeem these butts is at recycling centers that take cans and bottles.

The electronic cigarette will definitely help as well. One cartridge is equal to about a pack and a half or two packs of smokes. It's a saving for the smoker, and the environment. In fact there's a ton of articles over here that talk about ecigs and the environment. Pretty cool.

Josh Board May 8, 2009 @ 2:09 a.m.

Do they have electric cigars, yet? It's my one vice, and people hate the smell, so I rarely smoke them anywhere.

The deposits idea is brilliant.

It reminded me of a riddle I remember our teacher gave us in 3rd grade (hi, Ms. Sylvestor, if you're out there).

It went like this:

If a homeless person got tired of bumming cigarettes from people, and found that for every five cigarette butts they find on the street, they can combine them to make one regular cigarette to smoke. So...if the homeless man finds 25 cigarette butts on the ground, how many cigarettes does he get to enjoy for the day?

(cue Jeopardy! theme music)

The answer is NOT five, like everyone in the class thought. It would be six...because after he smoked the five cigarettes he had, there would be five more butts in which he could make one last cigarette with.

(geez, and they always said that stuff you learned in school would never be used again!)

vchris May 8, 2009 @ 5:09 p.m.

SDaniels:

Actually, janeb posted a link to the site up above for the 2 piece. http://www.getvapure.com/

I'm sure you heard them talk about the "atomizer" or "heat coil" on the e-cigarette you bought. Won't you won't hear is that this piece requires maintenance, must be cleaned, and is prone to failure and short life if not 'babied' ad taken care of.

The new tech in the 2 piece means that the atomizer is actually built into the replacement cartridge. So, every time you change the cartridge, or flavor, you get a brand new atomizer.

The only thing you actually hang onto is the battery for recharges.

SDaniels May 8, 2009 @ 5:28 p.m.

vhchris, I have the two-piece type you speak of (from smokingeverywhere.com), with the lithium ion battery contained in the main unit of the device, which also plugs into a USB to recharge on the computer. The cartridges have a vaporizing chamber (atomizer) with water, and you screw off and on the cartridges.

There were no instructions with it for care. In sum, it cost me $125 for the two piece unit, along with a gold-colored case and the USB charger.

As I mentioned, I get one or two hits from it, then the "smoke" ceases. I have tried switching out cartridges and charging the device for long periods--no luck, still just get no more than three generous inhalations. Some nicotine water also leaked a bit, and burned my lip.

It has a year guarantee, so I REALLY hope I can hold the company to it.

I called the salesperson over at the Horton Plaza kiosk the day I got it, to order some flavored cartridges, but never heard back from him...

vchris May 8, 2009 @ 5:56 p.m.

SDaniels:

I know it looks that way, but it really is three pieces. You can unscrew the cartridge with the atomizer together, but they are both separate.

If you pull the cartridge straight back from the battery while it is together, it will expose the atomizer. The atomizer screws off and on by itself.

You can watch it here from smokingeverywhere's site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aiZin...

The "atomization chamber" is separate from the nicotine cartridge in this style e-cig.

You can also see a comparison of the 2 styles here: http://www.getvapure.com/default/compare/

Hopefully they get you taken care of. The 3 puffs this definitely isn't going to cut it.

Josh Board May 10, 2009 @ 8:56 p.m.

Geez...smoking sounds complicated and expensive. I would think that alone would be enough to get you to quit!

Yes, Ms. Sylvester did use that riddle. I remember also, she gave us a crossword puzzle that I finished before anyone else in class. But, there was one I didn't get. Nobody else in class, when the few finished them later, did either. It was a 4-letter word for smile, which was "grin". Our teacher was amazed that none of us had heard the word "grin" before.

Wow, that story sorta went nowhere...it just popped into my mind.

Esmoker June 6, 2009 @ 2:06 p.m.

Seen lots of good updates and articles even a comparison table of different brands