Kimberly Blough 6:28 p.m., March 9
Why not variable pricing?
Seriously, why not?
Man of Steel cost $225 million. It runs 2 hours and 23 minutes. It depicts the destruction of an entire city.
The Bling Ring cost $8 million. It runs 1 hour and 30 minutes. It depicts some teens robbing fancy houses.
The cost for a ticket to Man of Steel? $12.50.
The cost for a ticket to The Bling Ring? $12.50.
This is me, suggesting that if tickets to The Bling Ring cost less than tickets to Man of Steel, the number of people willing to pay, say, $8, would lead to a greater overall profit.
I don't suppose any theater could even afford to experiment with this. But I'm curious.
More like this:
- Movies opening this week: World War Z, Monsters University, and more — June 21, 2013
- Ollie's Big Bike Ride — Feb. 6, 2008
- Mighty Hungary — Nov. 29, 2007
- True Grit — June 14, 2007
- We Bleed in Mexico — May 10, 2001