Barnaby Monk 5 a.m., July 30
A little early in the morning, maybe, but I brought this on myself.
So I'm sitting here in a Toyota showroom while my car is getting an oil change down below in Service, and I'm sifting through the morning movie blog news. Film Drunk has yet another story about Michael Douglas blaming his throat cancer on cunnilingus (or rather, HPV acquired through cunnilingus). Suddenly, a tap hits my shoulder.
"What are you doing?"
It's a young woman. I don't know if she's curious, or angry, or what. I do know that I suddenly feel slimy for reading Film Drunk in a public setting. Still, honesty is the best policy.
"I'm reading Film Drunk. It's a movie blog."
"Does it tell you all the good movies?"
"No, it's more industry news."
"Well, right now, I'm reading a story about how the actor Michael Douglas says he got his cancer from cunnilingus."
She smiles. "They'll say anything to get out of it. I'm serious. They'll say anything."
More like this:
- Consumer's guide to finding movie reviews in The Reader — March 1, 2013
- Interview with Phantom technical advisor Kenneth Sewell — Feb. 27, 2013
- Interview with The Perks of Being a Wallflower writer-director Stephen Chbosky — Sept. 27, 2012
- The Cinephile Jew and His Christian Sidekick Come Under Fire — Dec. 29, 2011
- Eddie Murphy to Host Academy Awards? — Sept. 5, 2011