Jeff Smith 2:30 p.m., June 26
Gam3rCon: Space Invaders Landing in San Diego
Bay Area filmmaker documents collectors from the golden-era of arcade games.
Pac-Man. Donkey Kong. Space Invaders. Galaga.
Many of us grew up on these names, but what happened to all of the old arcade games from the early ‘80s after they were retired from the Wonderlands and Chuck-E-Cheese’s of America?
To find out, Bay Area filmmaker Jeff Von Ward tracked down collectors who grew up in the golden-era of the arcade and now dedicate their basements and garages to preserving the technological relics from three decades past.
The award-winning documentary follows the rise, fall, and re-birth of classic gaming, and shows where a $50 billion dollar a year industry got its start.
The Space Invaders: In Search of Lost Time will be screening at Gam3rCon (10th Ave Theatre - 930 10th Ave. - Downtown) on Saturday, July 20 at 11:30 p.m. and Sunday, July 21 at 4:00 p.m.
Winner of the 2013 Audience Award for Best Film at the Northern California Film Festival and the Platinum Reel Award for Best Documentary at the 2012 Nevada Film Festival, The Space Invaders: In Search of Lost Time has played all over the country and will launch its home release, a special 3-disc Blu-ray/DVD set, following the screening at this year’s Gam3rCon in San Diego. A Q&A with the filmmaker will follow.
More like this:
- Playstation killed the arcade star in Kurt Vincent’s game doc — April 27, 2016
- San Diego Film Festival at MCASD — Sept. 27, 2012
- Entre Les Bras (Step Up to the Plate) — Sept. 20, 2012
- Chicks in the City Takes Home SDSU Award for Excellence in Documentary Production — May 18, 2012
- La Paloma Debuts Local Steve White Documentary Tonight, Aug. 14 — Aug. 14, 2011