Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., Feb. 13
Top Gun brought back in IMAX 3D (for those who care)
Tony Scott is ended (but the malady lingers on).
Top Gun, the film that made San Diego famous, is being brought back for six days, this time in the grandeur of IMAX 3D.
Wasn't it just two years ago that San Diegans celebrated the 25th anniversary of Top Gun? Do we really need another fix?
Balboa Park acted as a stand-in for Xanadu, Charlie Kane's pleasure palace, in Citizen Kane and Richard Rush brought Peter O'Toole to the La Jolla Children's Pool for The Stunt Man. Call me when they decide to bring those two back in IMAX 3D. (If only Kane and Leland had engaged in a game of topless volleyball.)
The flying scenes look impressive in the 3D trailer, but you folks can cover it for me. Twice was too much: first in 70mm the week it opened and again two years ago when I was paid to project it at an outdoor anniversary screening. It was everything I had remembered and less. An extra dimension will never add depth to this dreck.
There is an advance 10pm screening Thursday night and the film opens on Friday. Click for showtimes.
More like this:
- Free screening of Casablanca at Landmark Hillcrest — Feb. 28, 2014
- 4th row center: A night at the Egyptian and a day at the Chinese — Sept. 17, 2013
- Meet Dean Cropp, Storm Surfers 3D's underwater stereographer — July 25, 2013
- The Interviewer's Anxiety at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla: An Interview with Wim Wenders, Pt. 2 — Feb. 27, 2012
- Free Outdoor Movies All Summer at Liberty Station — June 22, 2011