• Big Screen alerts

Tony Scott is ended (but the malady lingers on).

Top Gun, the film that made San Diego famous, is being brought back for six days, this time in the grandeur of IMAX 3D.

Wasn't it just two years ago that San Diegans celebrated the 25th anniversary of Top Gun? Do we really need another fix?

Balboa Park acted as a stand-in for Xanadu, Charlie Kane's pleasure palace, in Citizen Kane and Richard Rush brought Peter O'Toole to the La Jolla Children's Pool for The Stunt Man. Call me when they decide to bring those two back in IMAX 3D. (If only Kane and Leland had engaged in a game of topless volleyball.)

The flying scenes look impressive in the 3D trailer, but you folks can cover it for me. Twice was too much: first in 70mm the week it opened and again two years ago when I was paid to project it at an outdoor anniversary screening. It was everything I had remembered and less. An extra dimension will never add depth to this dreck.

There is an advance 10pm screening Thursday night and the film opens on Friday. Click for showtimes.

None

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

dwbat Feb. 5, 2013 @ 12:39 p.m.

Scott, Since you loved it THAT much, you can enjoy the thrill of visiting the actual venue where they shot the bar scene. It's the Mississippi Room at the Lafayette Hotel.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 5, 2013 @ 2:55 p.m.

Oh yes, the KC BBQ on Market. Well it USED to be on Market, the street went right in front of it, until the re-did the street.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 5, 2013 @ 2:53 p.m.

Saw "Top Gun" opening night in 1986 at the 1,000+ seat Theater on University, just west of College (now a multiplex) and there were 30 or more "Naval Aviators" that came to the show in their FLIGHT suits, no shit! It was INCREDIBLE.

There is NOTHING that can describe the energy you you feel from 1,000+ rabid movie fans going nuts at the opening night of one of the best movies ever made. Still get chills thinking about that night.

Fred Williams Feb. 5, 2013 @ 8:56 p.m.

I was enlisted and assigned to VF-211, one of the Miramar squadrons whose planes were featured in the film.

My buddy Wayne Gates is the yeoman who spills coffee on the Commander. In real life he was a yeoman too.

When we returned from our deployment on the Kitty Hawk, the film was released and we got free admission if we showed up in uniform. I saw it at Horton Plaza along with some other guys from the squadron.

We howled with laughter. This was the most unrealistic portrayal of life in a fighter squadron ever made.

• Riding on base without a helmet? A serious offence punished with extreme harshness. No possible way that would ever happen at Miramar.

• The flight deck guys surrounding a returning bird and cheering? Not likely. They've got work to do, and no particular love for the officers who break their planes.

• How does a helicopter return to the carrier before the F-14s?

So much was so stupid about this movie...even Berlin's hit song was a big drop in quality from their previous music. But it was a huge hit. The public loved it. Everyone suddenly wanted to be...me!

I cannot tell you how many dates I got, how very popular I became with the single young attractive females of San Diego, just because I was in a real F-14 fighter squadron at Miramar. It was great. Back in those days, I could bring a visitor on base, take her to the hangar, show her the planes...and my specialty was running the squadron's computers so we could crank out paperwork.

Yep...dumb movie. Great times...

dwbat Feb. 5, 2013 @ 9:57 p.m.

Stupid movie, yeah. Remember, Hollywood IS called the Dream Factory!

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 5, 2013 @ 10:43 p.m.

You guys are way too harsh on a GREAT movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot vouch for the reality of it, but i did love the picture!

dwbat Feb. 6, 2013 @ 9:19 a.m.

<p>IMDB.com has this rating for it: 6.7 (out of 10) from 131,490 users.

dwbat Feb. 6, 2013 @ 6:04 p.m.

I give it a 5. Are you calling for a recount?

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 6, 2013 @ 9:48 p.m.

LOL...i can't help it........ it is corny and over the top and ...well... Hollywood..... BUT I love Top Gun and always will, it ranks as one of my all time favorite flicks.