Dryw Keltz 6:30 p.m., Feb. 10
New releases opening this week
No, seriously! This one's character-driven!
Maybe it's the sun shining down after a wet and chilly week. Maybe it's the end of flu season. But something's in the air - Scott enjoyed not one, but two movies that he was expecting to loathe.
Less surprisingly, he took a shine to Werner Herzog's latest entry into his cinematographic cartography of the human soul's less habitable regions, Happy People. He assured me that these Taiga dudes weren't completely isolated, which puts them a step ahead of these (presumably less happy) people.
And me? Well, I found stuff to admire in the Chicano coming-of-age story Bless Me, Ultima, but I had trouble getting past the narration. Still, an impressive effort. I've got an interview with the film's star and chief villain coming up later today!
More like this:
- Interview with Bless Me, Ultima stars Luke Ganalon and Castulo Guerra — Feb. 22, 2013
- Review: Hansel & Gretel Get Baked — Feb. 21, 2013
- Trailer Park: Hansel and Gretel Get Baked — Feb. 20, 2013
- Hansel & Gretel made nearly $20 million this weekend, but that's not the real horror — Jan. 28, 2013
- This week's new releases — Jan. 25, 2013