7:45 p.m., June 29
Ken Cinema not 100 after all
My face is red, but I'm in good company. A 1990 University of San Diego graduate history survey on file with the San Diego Historical Society, word from a generally reliable source, and the dependable (as a rule) Cinema Treasures should have been enough to go on. Obviously they weren't.
The UT's Roger Showley has corrected the error of my enthusiastic ways. He received a call from Welton Jones, retired UT arts critic and theater historian, questioning the birth-date of the Ken Cinema. The theatre's birthday cake is 34 candles shy of a centenary.
Landmark's celebration, that I so brutally ragged on, will continue.
A thousand apologies to all. From now on I'll stick to snarky cinematic asides or burning incense for Scorsese and leave the breaking news to the big boys.
More like this:
- San Diego High School holds annual Film Festival at Landmark's Ken Cinema — May 29, 2013
- Opening this week — Dec. 7, 2012
- Opening this week — Nov. 9, 2012
- Landmark Blows Out Ken's 100 Birthday Candles With a Yawn — Aug. 16, 2012
- Your Short Film Could Land on Landmark Theatre Screens — July 11, 2011