• Big Screen alerts

Living in a town where it rains something like 12 days out of the year has a tendency of making one overlook the necessity of an occasional sprinkle. The recent midwestern drought is forcing the issue closer to home.

Not as far as San Diegans are concerned; we already pay a hefty luxury tax in order to avoid having to consult the Weather Channel, let alone carry an umbrella. Movie fans across the country may soon have to dig even deeper into their wallets if they plan on chomping in the dark.

Reuters reports that in light of the recent drought, commodity soybean and grain prices are soaring. Retail prices have risen this summer, "from about $20 for a 50 pound bag to $30 or higher." Will this leave distributors no alternative than to pass the cost on to the consumer?

The last time I purchased a Coke and a medium bag of corn it set me back $11.50, pretty much the same cost as a ticket. A sudden spike in popcorn prices is going to hit theatres chains, who rely on concession sales, not box office receipts, for their cut of the profits, the hardest.

Bob Goldin, director of the food supplier practice at Technomic Inc. doesn't foresee a spike in prices. "The popcorn portion of the product is a very low percentage of the price," says Goldin, "and the prices are already so high, I think consumers would balk if they went up any higher."

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

dwbat Sept. 4, 2012 @ 4:03 p.m.

I found the best way to save on movie snacks: Do not buy ANYTHING at the concession stand EVER. As Dionne Warwick sang: "Walk On By."

Scott Marks Sept. 4, 2012 @ 4:53 p.m.

Anything but smuggling in Hefty sandwich bags filled with home-popped corn.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 4, 2012 @ 4:17 p.m.

I used to not buy anyhting, but these movie houses have trouble making ends meet so now I always buy an over priced $4 bag of popcorn......makes ME feel better that I am supporting their business.

Scott Marks Sept. 4, 2012 @ 4:55 p.m.

If I bought corn & Coke each time I went to a movie I'd be poorer (and fatter) than I already am, but I do occasionally spring for concessions for the very reason you mention, Surf.

Ken Harrison Sept. 5, 2012 @ 4:15 a.m.

Theaters make only 10 - 20% of ticket sales. Their profit is in concessions. While I support them with a big bag of popcorn, I'll still stop at the 99 cents store for a big box of candy. Did you know Walgreens has, in their candy isle, a section titled "Theater Candy" in the big box packaging? I'm having trouble sneaking in 4 big boxes of candy for the family, especially when the Mike & Ike's rattle around when I walk.

Scott Marks Sept. 5, 2012 @ 12:58 p.m.

You need to re-watch "Midnight Express." ;)

Colonna Sept. 5, 2012 @ 5:41 a.m.

Every time I go see a movie, I'm sure to stop by the concession counter.

Of course, I go to the movies about once a year, if I'm lucky.