Don Bauder 6:45 p.m., April 17
Dalai Lama to San Diego: "You Are Not Worthy"
Spiritual Leader of Tibet Cancels San Diego Appearances After Learning of "Grossly Exploitative" Prices for Scalped Tickets
"Did not one of you heed the message of The Lorax?"
His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama today announced that he was cancelling his planned visit to San Diego, after learning that tickets to hear him speak, once priced from $10-$25, are now selling for $96-$550 on scalping sites.
Said His Holiness, "I had looked forward to visiting San Diego, because I had heard of the region's calming effects on the soul - the way the weather and the environment conspired to clear the mind of all conscious thought. But when I heard of the grasping attempts to 'make it rain' by cashing in on my speeches, I realized that there was no point in journeying to your city. Apparently, it is a place so infected with Western acquisitiveness that you would seek to get rich off an appearance by a man who preaches detachment from worldly goods. I find this not only distressing, but also repugnant."
"Especially since I was not given a piece of that action," concluded His Holiness.
More like this:
- Charlie Carwell, student expelled because of abusive ex-pastor, tells his story — June 20, 2013
- Dalai Lama Tickets: Hyper-Inflation — March 21, 2012
- Dalai Lama Announces Pilgrimage to East County's "Buddha McDonald" — Jan. 19, 2012
- Bent, Scalped — Dec. 2, 2009
- An Olympic Moment — Sept. 17, 2008