Mercy Baron 7:30 p.m., May 27
Mayoral Campaign Heats Up!
As Old Fire Rages Near Golden Acorn Casino, Filner Accuses DeMaio of Gambling With San Diego's Future
DeMaio Fires Back, Suspects Political Foul Play
Filner: "Carl DeMaio called for major cuts to San Diego's Fire Department budget. As of right now, the Old Fire has taken out 907 acres near residential areas. Evacuations are underway, and containment is at just 30%. And the Old Fire is just the latest this year, following the Banner Fire, the Border Fire, and the Wohlford Fire. I guess DeMaio will be satisfied being mayor of America's Finest Charred Wasteland."
DeMaio: "If there's one thing we've learned over the past few years, it's that 99% of the time, wildfires are not natural events. They're man-made. I'm not saying Bob Filner or his supporters are starting these fires in a shockingly immoral effort to smear my attempts to rein in San Diego's budget. I'm just saying."
More like this:
- San Carlos Area Council meeting hosts Carl DeMaio — May 3, 2013
- Investigative author Caitlin Rother further clarifies her remarks on DeMaio — March 28, 2013
- Sponsor of Pro-DeMaio political committee is a former Filner supporter — Oct. 19, 2012
- DeMaio To Hold Campaign Event at Headlinerz Barber Shop In North Park — July 13, 2012
- LIVE BLOG - Mayoral Candidate Forum — March 14, 2012