Don Bauder 9:30 a.m., May 5
Following San Diego's Failure to Make Top 10 List of Hipster Cities, Pop Sensation One Republic Decides to Remove City's Name from Alternate Lyrics for Hit Single "Good Life"
"Gotta protect the brand, ya know?"
Everybody knows that One Republic's earworm "Good Life" varies its lyrics for different radio markets. In D.C., the line "My friends in LA they don't know" becomes "My friends in Washington they don't know." Similar changes have been documented in Atlanta and Houston. And in San Diego, the line "Paris to China to Colorado" plays as "Paris to China to San Diego." That is, it did until this week, when San Diego placed 11th in a nationwide ranking of cities by hipstericity.
A statement on the band's website reads, "Sorry, San Diego. We understand how much this must hurt. But hey, at least we played a show there one time in 2010, right? And LA isn't that far away! Anyway, it's not our fault you suck. Stop whining."
More like this:
- San Diego Ranks 11th Most-Hipster City — Jan. 23, 2012
- Dalai Lama Announces Pilgrimage to East County's "Buddha McDonald" — Jan. 19, 2012
- Eminem Goes to Coronado — Jan. 4, 2012
- San Diego Reader Announces Name Change — Jan. 3, 2012
- San Diego: The Downward Spiral — Jan. 2, 2012