Cecelia Di Mino 8:38 p.m., March 31
San Diego Unified Rolls Out "Have You Considered Homeschooling?" Campaign
Cash-Strapped District Outsources Educational Responsibilities to Parents
"Hey, you had 'em. We hear there's a lot of good stuff on the History and Discovery Channels."
A poster from the new campaign, placed in low-income neighborhood community centers all over San Diego.
Following a San Diego Unified School District committee's recommendation that at least 10 school be closed in time for next year's academic session, the district has issued a modification on its official policy of "Homeschooling is for Inbred Troglodyte Freaks." Now, says district head of business matters Fred Stovepipe, education at home is to be considered the "'Lifeboat Option - what you latch onto when the big ship is taking on water. It's dangerous, grossly undersupplied, often manned by amateurs, and likely to be swamped. But there are times when it's the best available option. This is one of those times."
More like this:
- Trustees at San Diego Unified Will Consider Placing New Bond Measure on November Ballot — June 11, 2012
- "Putting the 'Edge' Back in 'Education.'" — May 31, 2012
- San Diego Unified's Real Estate Sale Now One Step Closer — May 14, 2012
- San Diego School District Offers "Whooping Colony" Classroom for Unvaccinated Students — Sept. 19, 2011
- Home School — Sept. 13, 2001